What are members doing to improve front suspension??

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What are you doing, adding and changing to improve handling and eliminate bum steer??

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
1. Rebuilt control arms with rubber bushings and new ball joints
2. Removed front sway bar
3. Moroso "Trick Springs"
4. Cheap Summit brand 3-way adjustable shocks set on 90/10
5. Manual disc brakes & manual steering with '61 PS gear box

Oh wait.......you want it to handle better for turns and stuff? Sorry Sean. :poke
Just messing with you.

I remember someone using a huge Nascar style front sway bar with "heim end" style links, tubular control arms, and big Wilwood brakes. Those should really help with handling. I can't remember who it was, but have pictures saved.

The only people I have heard complain about bump steer with an X-frame were ones who had adapted a Rack & Pinion.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey buddy!

Trying to improve what is there. New coils, new ball joints, new inner and outer tie rods, rebushed everything. I have manual steering too; retaining it. I did convert to front discs courtesy 58 Delivery. Any ideas??

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Did that, per Leo; was wondering about further geometry improvements such as tubular a-arms?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There are some tubular arms that increase caster which helps stay street at high speeds. I hear that some which are advertised as adding caster really don't .... or are all over the place in how much. There are ways to use offset upper crossmember shafts to help too, but I never can remember the specifics and would have to research it again.
Those sway bars will make a world of difference and a good rear bar will help with cornering and leveling the launch.

A steering gear box from a power steering car has a better ratio and should improve the feel with your manual steering. Bolts right up since all the "power" stuff on these is down in the cylinder.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There are some tubular arms that increase caster which helps stay street at high speeds. I hear that some which are advertised as adding caster really don't .... or are all over the place in how much. There are ways to use offset upper crossmember shafts to help too, but I never can remember the specifics and would have to research it again.
Those sway bars will make a world of difference and a good rear bar will help with cornering and leveling the launch.

A steering gear box from a power steering car has a better ratio and should improve the feel with your manual steering. Bolts right up since all the "power" stuff on these is down in the cylinder.
...what Jason said. I am using an Addco bar, Afco shocks and Southwest Speed tubular upper to get more caster. Also the brake kit from 58delivery and a P/S geared steering box.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Bump steer is created by the toe changing as the front of the car travels up and down. It does scrub off et. In extreme cases the front tires can go into a violent shake. As we lowered the ride height on the red car the toe went to an "out" position when completely colapsed...as the front tires came back down. Look at the angle of your lower control arm and compare that to the angle of the tie rod. They should be parallel....check it at rest...fully extened...and collapsed. We made and improverment by using a long bolt...spacer...and a hiem joint. It helped....but didn't completely solve the problem....I never felt safe with the modification. We solved the problem by intalling a rack at the proper heigth to solve the geometery problem.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This was posted on a thread I started about problems I know I'm going to have to solve:
The angle of the tie-rod is dependent upon the relationship of the ball-joints to the a-arm pivot points. For some ride heights, they may wind up being horizontal, slope up a little, slope up a lot, or possibly even slope down (on a lifted vehicle).

Here's an article that has some diagrams that show how the relationship between the joints works:

http://www.circletrack.com/chassistech/ctrp_1001_bump_steer_explained/

The URL does a great job of explaining bump steer, how to test and mitigations.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey buddy!

Trying to improve what is there. New coils, new ball joints, new inner and outer tie rods, rebushed everything. I have manual steering too; retaining it. I did convert to front discs courtesy 58 Delivery. Any ideas??

Sean

I too have manual steering. I went through the whole front end years ago and went with radial tires. Still wandered around. Then about 5 yeas ago I installed a Quick Performance (9" ford)rear end with the 4 link. I could not believe I was driving the same car...........drives like a top. I was spending money on the wrong end........:dohCheck the rear bushings..............

Last edited:

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave and others can give you more details than I can on the gear boxes. Up until recently I thought that the manual and power steering gear boxes for our cars were the same because the "power" portion of our cars' power steering is the ram cylinder the pump sends fluid through for assist. I did not realize it until others here pointed it out, but the gear boxes for the power steering cars have a better ratio.

Lucky for me I was already converting to one (already had it) just to get rid of a leaky pitman shaft seal.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Makes perfect sense. Plus the drag link is cheaper.

Does anyone make a collapsible steering shaft? Can I pirate one form something? I've been playing with mine to turn it into a collapsible.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Makes perfect sense. Plus the drag link is cheaper.

Does anyone make a collapsible steering shaft? Can I pirate one form something? I've been playing with mine to turn it into a collapsible.
I'm not sure, but after a picture that was posted on here awhile back of a wrecked Chevelle, I am sure wanting to look into it.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I feel a collapsible shaft is more important than seat belts. Not joking either.
The fact that the steering gear box is located soooooooo far forward on our pre 65 Chevy frames plays a big part in the danger of getting harpooned :eek1 in a frontal collision. The rear steer front suspensions were an improvement and the later firewall mounted rack and pinion design was better yet.