What are members doing to improve front suspension??

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A lot of people take them off to "upgrade" to modern power steering boxes with the ports in them such as the 605 conversions or specific made boxes from CPP and others. I always like the stock power steering system on our cars myself, but want manual on my own car.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
All GM steering columns from 67 on are collapsable. 67 and 68 are the only pass car ones without the ignition switch on the column.
67-68 Camaro and Chevelle should be adaptable.

I installed a Delphi 600 gear box last year on my 62 wagon and have had a horrible time with it. My car was a factory PS that leaked fluid every where and was worn pretty good. Complete front suspension was rebuilt and at 40-45 mph the car wanted to jerk towards the ditch. Called the company and they said it was in the caster. Took it back to the alignment shop and all they could get is positive half a degree. Went to the street rod nationals this past August and a lady at the company said I might need to try shims behind the pressure valve since I'm using the stock ps pump. Did that and it seems to help just a little. Then I ordered ride tech upper control arms and installed them. Haven't taken the car back to the alignment shop but I did drive it down the road a little. Starts giving me problems at 50-55 mph.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I put a rear sway-bar on the trailing arms on Lynette's 60 and was amazed at the difference in handling that doing that to the rear made around corners
Have a large sway bar on the front (did have from start) but adding the rear one made a dramatic difference

Steve

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Global West has a new front end kit and stereing box that corrects some of the geometry issues also.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The key to the PS leaks in the original system is to use the Type A fluid as original. The newer stuff is like water and will go right by the o'rings or seals.
Also make sure you bleed the system with the front wheels off the ground.

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Funny you mention that as I've been considering the same thing. I'd need to sell the 409/425 to do it however.
See if the dealership sees the same value in the car as you. I doubt they'll do an even trade plus 10k, but why not try?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nothing I have ever owned or driven, compares to my C6 Corvette, but then again, they shouldn't. This car has all modern technology. The way it steers, brakes, handles, rides and the power, unbelievable. Plus 26 mpg on a trip. What is there not to like. I put the top down and enjoy the heck out of this car. But, my true love would be the older cars. When I drive one of them, it takes me back to my youth. Something I can relate to. I get lost in the moment. Its an escape for me. Its a bridge to better times. Priceless. I feel I'm very fortunate and blessed to have the best of both worlds, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Funny you mention that as I've been considering the same thing. I'd need to sell the 409/425 to do it however.

Two big problems with that. 1) Your 409 car will continue to appreciate in value, probably for ever. The Newer Vets depreciate faster then ice melting in the Sahara desert. 2) Collector car insurance saves you thousands yearly compared to insurance cost on a newer Corvette.
However the Corvette is a fine machine that is a great daily driver, not really a "apples to apples" comparison.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Nothing I have ever owned or driven, compares to my C6 Corvette, but then again, they shouldn't. This car has all modern technology. The way it steers, brakes, handles, rides and the power, unbelievable. Plus 26 mpg on a trip. What is there not to like. I put the top down and enjoy the heck out of this car. But, my true love would be the older cars. When I drive one of them, it takes me back to my youth. Something I can relate to. I get lost in the moment. Its an escape for me. Its a bridge to better times. Priceless. I feel I'm very fortunate and blessed to have the best of both worlds, Carmine.
Carmine , could you send me some seed's off your tree in the back yard!!!!!!! :D:D

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We just got a '14 in our shop yesterday with the engine knocking at 8,000 miles. A worker who just came from a larger dealership in Atlanta told me that they had to replace 3 in cars they sold. That is a new engine design that came out in '14 Vettes and a few trucks too. I would highly advise staying away from those at least for a few years as there may be a real issue. The C7 sure does look like a world class "supercar" right up there with the Ferrari and Lamborghini though. I can appreciate them, and the newer stuff make fun daily drivers, but will never compare to 60's cars in my opinion.

Mike makes a good point about depreciation. Even if you keep a newer Vette long enough for the value to start coming back up....and you try to keep it in pristine condition......just look at all the plastic crap EVERYWHERE on it. (And any other newer car no matter the brand.) That stuff is not going to last more than 10-15 years before it gets brittle. Most of it will be discontinued by that time as well so you'll be hard pressed to replace it.