What are the odds?!?

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If you see something like that why wouln't you just report it to EBAY and possibly save some people from having a problem?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I see one of the ads has been removed but not both. I didn't see both of them but maybe it was a friend or relative?? Or?

Bowtiegal

that the EXACT SAME engine is being sold by 2 different people in 2 different states?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=ADME:B%3***:US:1&viewitem=&item=300093386082

an
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=ADME:B%3***:US:1&viewitem=&item=330101179149

I'm sure it has something to do with a Nigerian shipping company...

Are these 409/425 redone, but apart with all the parts stood up and posed nicely for the picture.. including a chrome 2x4 air cleaner laying in the front?
Both listings use the same exact picture?

About a month ago there was one of those listed and it sold for 8500.00

Then a week or so later another 409/425 motor was listed and I went ahead and bid on this one, but after I got to looking at the picture it seemed all too familiar so I went to my 'watched items' folder and sure enough, this new listing had the same picture, the same description, format and style.. those Nigerians pretty much stole it ALL from the first listing - but they did change the "sellers" location.

I went ahead and reported it to eBay, and it wasn't long before I got an e-mail from eBay saying that they had canceled my bids on this auction as the listing was removed...

Just kind of curious if it was the same recycled listing, or were these new ones something that the bad guys put a little bit of thought and effort into so as not to be caught... some more?

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
As a long time ebayer, I have learned a lot of folks don't have digital cameras and they "borrow" photo's of similar items from the web and especially ebay. I sell a lot of old audio gear, and that happens to me a lot.
I don't know if that is the case this time, but it could happen.

roadrelic

In regards to items on Ebay, as the old saying goes. If it's too good to be true usually it is! Caveat emptor!

Ditto with the "right click" copy-paste auctions, not only have I had auction pictures borrowed but, also whole descriptions! I don't know if it's not having a digital camera so much as it is just being flat out too lazy to take a picture and write a description of your own dang stuff.

Speaking of... some of the car listings kill me when they can't even take the car/truck out of the garage to give it a good cleaning/detail before trying to auction it off. And they wonder why it didn't meet reserve! :doh

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are devious ebay types everywhere, especially high dollar items....twice I have seen listings, one was my brothers custom bike and another for a turbo porsche, both were sitting in my bro's garage in California and both showed up for sale iin Alabama. My Brother had them legitimately on Ebay and not sold and about a month later they appeared again under a bogus seller. Even emailed the guy back and forth and jerked him around a bit. I decided to bid an exagerrated amount on them so no one would get burned before Ebay reacted. Tried to get Johnny Law involved but that led no where. Anyhigh dollar item get checked out before payment...or run the risk of getting burned

Tim

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think ebay is getting scarier to deal with. Man oh man I wonder how many people are gettin screwed. And with no recourse. Be careful John

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
I think ebay is getting scarier to deal with. Man oh man I wonder how many people are gettin screwed. And with no recourse. Be careful John

Sorry, when I posted this thread, I should have put it in the ebay section...

Speaking of it being scary to deal with Ebay, here's a little-known fact:

feel free to verify this info, it is an experience I had about a year ago, they may have fixed the problem by now???

Don't think messages in ebay's "My Messages" are safe. I was online with an ebay rep about my father's account and this is coming straight from her...someone can send you a spoof message in your "my messages" folder even AFTER you have signed into "my ebay" here's the scenario:

you go to ebay website
you click on "my ebay"
you sign in with your ID and password
you click on "my messages"
you have a few questions on an item that you are selling, so you open one
you read it, and click on the big yellow "Respond Now" button
everything is cool right? WRONG

This ebay rep tells me that in an actual ebay message, after you click the yellow "respond now" button you are taken to a question response screen. There are fake messages going around that will make you log in again. DON'T DO IT. This is how they get your ID and password, empty your paypal account, and start selling fake stuff to cheat other people.

I was instructed to always use the gray "Respond" button at the top of the screen which the bad people cannot fake.

She told me that ebay will not ask for your password again when responding to messages...but seriously, how many times does ebay ask you to log in? You have to log in during certain advanced searches, you have to log in to change your account even if you are already logged in. We're used to logging in multiple times after visiting the site. Where's the warning? Why are there still yellow buttons in "my messages" scary stuff indeed.

Also, in the original post, these auctions were pulled 1 day, and 3 days respectively after I first reported them. They were definitely fakes, yet after reports from many people it took 3 days to take down the second auction. Ebay does the minimum to protect buyers, but the maximum to protect their power sellers...ever see the ones with 99.9% positive feedback yet they average 30 negatives per MONTH? Be very careful, please.

Tom

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Speaking of it being scary to deal with Ebay, here's a little-known fact:

Been on Ebay since about 6 months after startup. I have had only one real bad episode.

Yes, scammers out there are always trying to do the easy pickin's.

Caution and research is the rule of the day now.

Be careful guys. If you get email from what looks like Ebay, check your account there online. If you get the same message there, it's legit. If not, don't respond.

Here's an easy check....on the suspected fake email, right click any image that 'links' you to the site. View the properties and you'll find the actual site you'll be sent to if you left clicked the link. It won't say ebay for sure.

Forward it to spoof@ebay.com and forget it.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just recieved an e-mail through e-bay , where a buyer is demanding his parts. Problem is, I havent sold any parts. I have responded and it will be interesting to see what this is about. :dunno

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Just recieved an e-mail through e-bay , where a buyer is demanding his parts. Problem is, I havent sold any parts. I have responded and it will be interesting to see what this is about. :dunno

NO!

Never ever respond to such emails!

Replying to such emails sends your 'cookie' to the scammer!

Logon to Ebay fast and change your password before he does!

:cuss

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
passwords aren't saved in cookies or temporary internet files. They are stored in your browser's saved password files only IF you chose to save passwords. Responding to emails are harmless unless you give out personal info. The most they can find out is your IP address

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
passwords aren't saved in cookies or temporary internet files. They are stored in your browser's saved password files only IF you chose to save passwords. Responding to emails are harmless unless you give out personal info. The most they can find out is your IP address

If you say so.

My son disagrees.........$750 wiped from his Paypal account several years ago.

He and I agree.....change the password often.

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
He and I agree.....change the password often.

definitely. Most passwords are stolen through phishing and trojan horse (keyword logging) viruses.

didn't want to start an argument, just trying to set everyone straight. Spreading bad information is wrong because when people don't know what to believe, they start believing nothing at all.

I'm in the business, so what I wrote so far is reliable.

again, not trying to stir anything up, I understand that you are going to believe your son before some stranger on a puter :cool:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's what just happened to me last week:
I got a question from a "potential" buyer, I read it and responded. About an hour later Ebay sends me a message to not respond to this ebayer. A little later in the day I can't sign on. Ebay closed my account and sent me a message saying that my account had been hacked. I had to change my password and verify my identity. They sent another note saying the crook got my account and possibly sent offers to other members. Nothing was changed in my acount nor did I lose any money. Ebay sent another note saying that either the crook had guessed at my password (nearly impossible) installed a "stroke counter" virus (highly doubtful, but I guess possible) or...there was a 3rd one, but I forget what it was. I can't recall if I had to "log on" again when I hit the yellow response button.

No409

Supporting Member 1
i had a 67 camaro on ebay 6 months ago. sold the car to a local guy, who called me the next day after he gave me a bank check for the car, stating that he had a second chance offer on the car, with a e-mail address and such, and gave it to me.
I contacted the guy, stating i wanted to buy the car cash, and needed to get in touch with him. HE kept sending me fake ebay screens, saying i had to sign in to ebay, to complete the transaction. I told him you didnt half to, but he was very persistant. Then i told him, i was still in possession of the car, and he was a scamer and such, and his responce was "so what"
the buyer of the car reported it to police, and i reported it to ebay, but i dont think anything has ever been done about it

that was the only problem ive ever had on ebay, after 8 yrs