What are the odds?!?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
that was the only problem ive ever had on ebay, after 8 yrs[/QUOTE]

The problem isn't with Ebay, but the idiots that steal.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
me too!!

I had 3 emails todays from someone who demanded when I was sending them their watch they had won:dunno :dunno :dunno I never sold a watch!!!

I forwarded it to eBay's spoof and got their answer back that someone was trying to get into my account. Had 3 emails from the same person ...jackjack14 was the name. All the emails were sent during one hour time period....like he was mad and hoped I would reply.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I agree Ronnie...............change your password immediatley!!! Use something like "1962409".....you know, something that nobody could guess!!!!:roll :roll :roll

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I changed password early this afternoon, as soon as wrench suggested. Been checking often to see if anything new is going on. So far, so good. I got sucked in by thinking someone was trying to cheat the guy that e-mailed me. All the time, he was the bad guy. Guess I'm through with being a good samaritan. :doh

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
passwords aren't saved in cookies or temporary internet files. They are stored in your browser's saved password files only IF you chose to save passwords. Responding to emails are harmless unless you give out personal info. The most they can find out is your IP address

I have a tech question. Sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Tom

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Unless the e-mail is in my ebay mailbox I ignore it. Most scams will come in through outside e-mail that I have seen.
Yup the password is not stored in cookies but session data is. And if I spoof you to go to a site using a fake e-mail that is rigged to either deliver a trojan that's specificly designed to steal bank info (very common) or try and fake you out into entering your login info also very common I can get info from you one way or another.
IE is pretty weak on it's own when it comes to spoofed sites and trojans so if your going to play you need to make sure your armed to the teeth.

I use XP SP4, IE 7 with anti phishing enabled w/popup blocker, Windows Defender, Winows security center set to med, McAfee 8.00 (screw symantic crap)
backed up by Adaware free scanning tool and a spare popup killer. My XP system is set to archive my last 2 logins and I copy my crap to DVD's monthly. My OS is on one drive and the rest of my apps are on different drives.

Why? Well since I over see 156,000 desk tops of applications at the largest bank in the USA and have been in it for the 16/17 years I kinda know what happens if I don't :D

jr.W

Well Known Member
Ok you computer guys, what should a computer have on it for protection
if used one the net & E-bay.:bow

Thanks jr.W

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
Ok you computer guys, what should a computer have on it for protection
if used one the net & E-bay.:bow

Thanks jr.W

as stated before, at least IE7 with anti-phishing enabled, Mcafee antivirus, and I'd like to add spybot 1.4 using teatimer. I haven't seen anything that beats it's realtime spyware protection. Back up important data as often as you are willing to lose time...so backup once a day, you only lose one day's work...etc.

KEEP ALL ANTIVIRUS UP-TO-DATE:cuss

as well as anti-spyware and windows updates

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tic's60 said Most scams will come through outside e-mail....
Mine came in the ebay message center. He asked me if my item for sale was the same as another listing, he then attached what appeared to be an ebay listing. I clicked on it, an unrelated ebay listing popped up (hocky gear) and I closed it and responded to him that his question made no sense. Then ebay caught on to something and shut down my account until I changed passwords and verified my identity.
So he was able to obtain soe kind of info by me either opening the ebay listing or responding to him.
I'm curious and interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Other than what I would say was a quick response by ebay they have'nt shared any pertinent info on this. They're quite dificult to have any dialogue with.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have seen that on an auction as well. Clicked then it tried to run a trojan on my PC, failed, then closed.

Read http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9187 I posted before on this.

I also change my password every 30 days just like at work. I use a combination of upper and lower case letters with 1 or 2 numbers or an odd char like *^ just like we have to use at work.

It's a pain but so is being ripped off.

Want to have some fun? Try this http://www.ebaymotorssucks.com/scams042307.htm

Want To Watch What Is Going On Yourself?? It Is Simple, First Download This Free Ware RSS News Feed Reader Here Next Download This Feedreader.opml File Which Contains The Various Search Terms These Scammers Use, Then Unzip & Import It Into Your New Feedreader Installation! Within Seconds You Will See The Scams Come Rolling In Live And Just Listed!

Eotnak

Supporting Member 1
feedreader.opml imported...this is fun!

edit: Tic: how were you alerted to to trojan that was trying to install?

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
feedreader.opml imported...this is fun!

edit: Tic: how were you alerted to to trojan that was trying to install?

It's a fun tool to whatch all of the scams running on ebay.

My Anti Virus (McAfee) notifies me when I open a page and there is a trojan.