What did you pay for some of your cars?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Graduated H.S. in 1964. Dad told me "GET A JOB.":hide Went looking. Found a quick job, at Minute Man Car Wash.:doh Now I need a car.:clap Everybody, went to Smitty's (R.L. Smith Auto Sale's) He always had, affordable cars.:goodGood Body's, Crappy Engine's, or Vice Versa. Definitely a crap shoot. My girl, and I went looking and I found a 57 Chevy Station Wagon. Body was almost perfect. Had a dent, in the tailgate.:doh Most normal people, would have passed over it. But, it had a V8, (283) with a Stick.:happy Started it up. No Knocks or Smoke.:appl How much Smitty?:dunno $ 175.00 Of course, it was more than I had.:cry1 Can I make payments. "You certainly can," he told me. Great Guy.:bow It took 3 paydays, to get it home. After I had it awhile, it started blowing oil, out of the Breather Tube. The Intake was always coated. So was the Firewall.:drop The Fan would blow the oil on it. :rollThe faster I drove, the more came out.:doh After about 6 month's, the motor was getting real tired, and I traded it in, for my 64 Impala SS 409.:love

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Jan.11, 1966 - bought 1964 Goldwood Yellow Impala, 42,000 miles, 300 HP, factory 4 speed, bench seat, tachometer, positraction for $2,000 from Rasmussen Chevrolet Cedar Falls, Iowa. Dad wouldn’t let me buy a ‘62 Vette $2,000 from guy in town. Said too much power and then a few days later told me to go look at the’64. Go figure? Had lots of fun in that Impala.

Fuzz

MAGA

62BillT

Well Known Member
I wonder how many on this forum got a ticket before they were old enough to have a license, I got mine at 14 on a Fox mini bike while riding it on the street. The cop not only gave me one ticket but 2, 1 for no license plate and 1 for no operators license. Needless to say my dad was not happy, I remember sitting in my room when he came home and listening to my mom telling him.

I always thought that would be me. I built a mini-bike when I was 14. Living in the city at the time, word got around quick that I had "a Motor Vehicle on Public Roads" and beware, lol.

Then I got my car at 15. I only drove it on the neighborhood street, but same thing, don't get caught.

All my tickets came after I got my license, lol.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I always thought that would be me. I built a mini-bike when I was 14. Living in the city at the time, word got around quick that I had "a Motor Vehicle on Public Roads" and beware, lol.

Then I got my car at 15. I only drove it on the neighborhood street, but same thing, don't get caught.

All my tickets came after I got my license, lol.
I built mine also It was a kit that I bought at a Western Auto store for $75, it took all the money I had saved up at that time. It was either a new Schwinn 10 speed or a mini bike, the mini bike won out. Lol

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I forget all of the details, there have been a lot. One thing for sure, I didn't get rich on any of them when they left!
back in 89 I bought a '69 camaro with a highly tuned 427...never lost a race with that car...over the years the brazing on both sail panels popped and during my divorce I installed new head gaskets...the stress of the divorce fogged my mind when installing the gaskets so they went on backwards...needless to say the one time I drove it it almost melted down...a buddy wanted that car so we did the deal for 25K in 2001...I took the money and bought 5.2 pounds of gold with the proceeds...best margin I even made selling a car I invested nothing in as it was near mint when I got it...I guess the bigger question is, how much have you invested in these 1200 dollar deals...

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
back in 89 I bought a '69 camaro with a highly tuned 427...never lost a race with that car...over the years the brazing on both sail panels popped and during my divorce I installed new head gaskets...the stress of the divorce fogged my mind when installing the gaskets so they went on backwards...needless to say the one time I drove it it almost melted down...a buddy wanted that car so we did the deal for 25K in 2001...I took the money and bought 5.2 pounds of gold with the proceeds...best margin I even made selling a car I invested nothing in as it was near mint when I got it...I guess the bigger question is, how much have you invested in these 1200 dollar deals...

Wise investment......somewhere around 133 grand increase...best part is that it is tax free.

:winner:winner:winner:winner