What do the 4 numbers 1269 stamped on my vin tag mean for my 1964 Belair 9 passenger wagon?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tag close up (14).jpgClose of trim tag.jpg

I have a 1964 Belair wagon
9 passenger
283 V8
Automatic powerglide
Factory AC
under dash ash tray (I think that was because the A/C vent would blow your ashes away from the in dash ash tray.)
Almond Fawn paint code

No idea why there are numbers stamped into the vin tag on the top row. 126 9Tag close up (14).jpgClose of trim tag.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I asked Carl S. in Australia -I sent him the tag pictures (who has documentation files) -that he comments normally direct person to person comments -not normally in open web sites - to stop clones cars. This question probably can be answered no problem
He has been answering questions for me.
Also Verne Frantz may answer this if he knows.
Paul

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I believe that DD stands for delivery date on 64 VIN tags, so it's probably 12 for December, which makes sense for a car built 2nd week Dec 63, but the 6 and mis-stamped 9 don't make sense so maybe there was a mistake or something??? Most dealers didn't bother stamping the delivery date.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The last number is tough to see in the photo, but to me it looks like it could be an 8 instead of a 9. Not that it likely makes any difference.
I took a close look and its not a 3 and its not a 8, either a 9 or an upside down 6. I happen to do this kind of investigative work every day at the classic car dealership I work at. We get all kinds of weird stamps in odd places.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe that DD stands for delivery date on 64 VIN tags, so it's probably 12 for December, which makes sense for a car built 2nd week Dec 63, but the 6 and mis-stamped 9 don't make sense so maybe there was a mistake or something??? Most dealers didn't bother stamping the delivery date.
Is that delivery date to dealer or to new owner? I have the papers showing it was delivered Dec 24th 1963

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I believe it was supposed to be delivery date to the owner, but the last two numbers don't align with the actual delivery date anyway, so it must have been a mistake. The actual delivery date of Dec 24 is consistent for a body built 2nd week December.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I believe it was supposed to be delivery date to the owner, but the last two numbers don't align with the actual delivery date anyway, so it must have been a mistake. The actual delivery date of Dec 24 is consistent for a body built 2nd week December.
Dealership took delivery of the car on Dec 18th, that's why I asked. I wish I had a build sheet but unless they put it in one of the back seats (which I have not pulled apart yet) then I won't have it. The only non-factory mod on the car I have found is the trailer hitch.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No explanation but a strange coincidence that 1269 is the model number for a 4 door sedan.
I'm thinking someone had the stamp upside down and didn't realize it until they had already hit it twice. Figured they flipped the stamp, moved it over and started over considering there is a significant space between 126 and the partial 9.