What do you ride?

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Was never bike rider, but my ex-wife rode one of these.
250 Triumph motorcycle. All I did was keep trying to keep it running.
Not a easy job. Always rode 4-wheels myself.

Dave

Attachments

• 58199EBA-6309-4426-853B-29D5E86BFAA6.jpeg
    58199EBA-6309-4426-853B-29D5E86BFAA6.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 6

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I bought my first bike in 1966, it was a 53 K Harley like the blue one in the pic below. Mine was Maroon $275. 45 cubic inches. Back then when you saw another biker it was some grubby guy on a Harley out on the road. In June 1970 I bought a new Sportster, pics below. $1,640 and by the end of the year it was jumping out of second gear...probably some factory defect. The pic with the 3 bikes is two of my friends and me taking off on a week long road trip to Wisconsin. The pic with the guy behind me is my brother in 1971. By September of 1971 I blew it up and after borrowing money from the bank ($1,200 dumb ass) I went from 55 ci and 60hp to 80ci and around 100 hp. That winter I tore the rest of it down to the bare frame and finished my chopper. I bent the sissy bar, made the kickstand, seat bottom, sent stuff to the chrome shop ect. You had to make your own stuff then. About the only place I could find any parts was AEE Chopper in Ca. I could pull 3rd gear power wheelies and the leather strap on the back would about touch the ground. I laced the 500X16 wheel myself. Got married in 72 and by 75 the bike had to go(or me)took a boat, snowmobile, 650BSA and something else in on trade. I haven't rode a stock Harley since except the Knuck. After the Sportster I've had 3 Road Kings and an Electra Glide Classic. I bought the 47 Knucklehead for Mary's birthday present in 1997. Probably have ridden well over 150K miles...hit every State West of the Mississippi and several East. Been to Sturgis 7 times. I'm a rider, not a hauler. Mary started riding her own in 96 or so. It's been a good time. Harley K Model1.jpgKnuck3.jpgKnuck5.jpgSportster 70.jpgSportster 71.jpgSportster 72.jpgSportster 721.jpgSportster 722.jpg

Last edited:

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If anyone knows of a Norton for sale...whole or basket or just parts...let me know.
My brother has a '73 or '74 850 Commando.
........my 68 Triumph 650 above may be for sale.......:good.........PM me if interested.....:rub

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
During the late 60s a local racer had a shop not far from my parent's house in the SW suburbs of Cleveland, and he took on the Kawasaki dealership. He didn't like 2 strokes but needed a factory to sponsor his road racing. His bike of choice was a 1950s Norton Manx, a 500cc four stroke thumper. Extremely reliable, especially in his hands.

He raced the Kaw 250 twin for a while, but hated it and went back to the Norton. Three of us bucked up $100 each (lot of money back in 1968-9) and bought the Kaw 250. Man, if you went WOT down the city streets on garbage day you could knock over those garbage cans with the sound waves coming out of those twin pipes :).

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought my first bike in 1966, it was a 53 K Harley like the blue one in the pic below. Mine was Maroon $275. 45 cubic inches. Back then when you saw another biker it was some grubby guy on a Harley out on the road. In June 1970 I bought a new Sportster, pics below. $1,640 and by the end of the year it was jumping out of second gear...probably some factory defect. The pic with the 3 bikes is two of my friends and me taking off on a week long road trip to Wisconsin. The pic with the guy behind me is my brother in 1971. By September of 1971 I blew it up and after borrowing money from the bank ($1,200 dumb ass) I went from 55 ci and 60hp to 80ci and around 100 hp. That winter I tore the rest of it down to the bare frame and finished my chopper. I bent the sissy bar, made the kickstand, seat bottom, sent stuff to the chrome shop ect. You had to make your own stuff then. About the only place I could find any parts was AEE Chopper in Ca. I could pull 3rd gear power wheelies and the leather strap on the back would about touch the ground. I laced the 500X16 wheel myself. Got married in 72 and by 75 the bike had to go(or me)took a boat, snowmobile, 650BSA and something else in on trade. I haven't rode a stock Harley since except the Knuck. After the Sportster I've had 3 Road Kings and an Electra Glide Classic. I bought the 47 Knucklehead for Mary's birthday present in 1997. Probably have ridden well over 150K miles...hit every State West of the Mississippi and several East. Been to Sturgis 7 times. I'm a rider, not a hauler. Mary started riding her own in 96 or so. It's been a good time. View attachment 62471View attachment 62472View attachment 62473View attachment 62474View attachment 62475View attachment 62476View attachment 62477View attachment 62478

Love that Knucklehead !
So cool !

Clint

Well Known Member
During the late 60s a local racer had a shop not far from my parent's house in the SW suburbs of Cleveland, and he took on the Kawasaki dealership. He didn't like 2 strokes but needed a factory to sponsor his road racing. His bike of choice was a 1950s Norton Manx, a 500cc four stroke thumper. Extremely reliable, especially in his hands.

He raced the Kaw 250 twin for a while, but hated it and went back to the Norton. Three of us bucked up $100 each (lot of money back in 1968-9) and bought the Kaw 250. Man, if you went WOT down the city streets on garbage day you could knock over those garbage cans with the sound waves coming out of those twin pipes :).
I cut the catalytic converter out and I am running thunder cones.. loud bastard!!!!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I believe Harley has a Anniversary this year, for the pan head.
Good friend has a first year un restored pan.
He has won best of show at Davenport bike show.