What Engine Oil?

Gold348

What engine oil are you all using? (Brand, weight, conventional/synthetic)

What is your engine's primary application? (Car shows, cruising, race track, boating, etc...)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It would depend on your build spec's. For a driver/cruiser with flat tappets,you'll want something like 10w30 Brad Penn,or you can use a conventional brand WITH the additional expense of a ZDDP additive .If you're going more radical,you'll want something heavier.If you're running a roller lifter set up,you can use off the shelf oils[no trick additive required].I,personally prefer synthetics because they last longer and adhere to parts better during extended shut down times that these sparcely driven cars see more often than not.

Gold348

Appreciate the feedback everyone! I have a '59 348 in a '66 speed boat. Also posed this question to a speed boat forum and got some similar answers. Seems Valvoline VR1 20w-50 is a popular choice for performance cars, as well as for performance boats. Going to give that a try next oil change.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
No issues with Amsoil, been using it for over 20 years in everything I have. The reason I began using Amsoil. A friend purchased a SS Chevy from the original owner with over 200,000 miles on it. The owner had never used any other oil but Amsoil. My friend wanted to rebuild the engine to make sure everything was OK. Took the engine down and it did not even have a ring grove or worn bearing. New gaskets and did not change a thing. Been using Amsoil ever since.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s