What exhaust manifolds for 62 with bbc

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok my kid has put a 454 in his 62 and doesn't want to spend a butt load of money on the hooker super comps as it seems those are the only ones that fit with a 4 speed.I have seen a 62 or 63 with a BBC in it before with manifolds but forgot to ask what they came out of before the car left. I know my 65 manifolds did not fit so has anybody here done this. Car is a plain Impala with the 454 and a m20 no power steering.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Sounds like my old '62 ('67 396, M-21 Muncie). I'd would be curious to know what manifolds would work too, as since I dropped in the Big Block in my '62 back in the 70's, I've never heard or seen any stock type that would work. I went with Hooker Headers back then. The only part of the whole engine swap that wasn't of an original type.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I know someone who did a BB swap in a 62, they used the Headman Headers for a 58-64, they fit great with a lot of room he told me.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have ran Jardine, Hooker super comps, stock bbc 454 exhaust manifolds and even my own custom fenderwall headers with a 4 speed. The jardines had allot of space and came off a 62 race car. SS but they need work and are slip on collectors. The super comps I am actually using now that I went back to a th400. I modified them by cutting the collector flanges off and built slip on's. Gained a 1/2 or so clearance doing that. They were tight on the 60's linage area and the oil filter was a pain in the butt to get to. I actually ended up moving the stock pivot arms over like a 1/2 inch to clear the header tube as well. The stock 454 ones the passenger side goes out the back and the drivers side went down and around the shifting linkage using 2 or 2 1/4 pipe.
the Jardines are runable just need some work or they would also make excellent patterns.