What is this old engine? Mining?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Saw this outside a museum, there were some other pieces from a coal mine, coal car, winch, and this engine. No markings on it, had inspection plates on the sides. The winch was made by a local company who also made wood stoves and Make & Break single cylinder spark engines.
Couldn’t see any evidence of spark plugs, the manifold may have had an updraft carb?

Dave may know what this could be?
99B995F4-7C59-476A-ADEB-9324D7019945.jpegEE76FC07-AF75-4CAF-9901-4536A7C657D8.jpeg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only marking0711115E-7360-452C-A49B-8BDC273808E0.jpeg54E59280-CF59-47B6-800C-0F2662A64CBA.jpeg was a casting, looks like A148G, the company I mentioned was called Acadia, they ran a foundry as well.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
No clue. Might no be as old as it looks. Had a starter it seems. Updraft on intake as you say, but no spark plugs or other electric stuff. Looks to have a gear reduction. Several brackets with parts missing that attached to the drive at the bell housing.

Weird pipe across the heads too. Possibly powered by compressed air????

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I found that exhibition, it’s really called the Canadian National Exhibition but was probably referred to as the Toronto Exhibition by others. It was held in 1927. That 4 cylinder shown has similarities to the 6 cylinder I saw.

I found an article on the company, it made almost all its own engine components in the foundary and machine shop. Pretty crude construction but used where weight was not an issue in marine and I suspect this one was built for a mine as it was with coal mining items. But it could have been marine.

Acadia was at one time a Chevrolet dealer and went bankrupt in 1979. There is still a foundry here in Lunenburg , they cast a lot of bronze propellers for large ships as well as other marine bronze.

https://everythingaboutboats.org/acadia-gas-engines-ltd/#products

Some interesting history. There are still many of these small 1 and 2 cylinder Acadia make and break engines around, I’ll have to see if I can find one. I’ll have to get Mr. Jacks input on an overhaul though.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So the 15-20hp had an 8 inch bore piston, rpm 250, and weighed 3,000 lbs. They made a 40hp, that could be the one I saw. They relied a lot on moving mass to produce power.

Design from the 1908-1920 era or earlier and not much evolution.

They still run though. Did you see this type of engine in your area? They were used as stationary or marine here. To reverse, turn them off and spin the flywheel the other way to restart.