What is this thing?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Appears to be an extraction device from a long time ago. It is in a leather scabbard and has a small adjustable strap
Robert
39F7D9F2-063D-4F8A-BC92-A877C9C37EA0.jpeg8303C065-2494-4B3F-BB86-9C1BDF063E19.jpeg

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I thought it may have been a farriers tool but looked and no. Might help if you put a quarter beside it.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ok will retake photos. Local family thinks it was an infantry tool to either pull a cartridge out of a chamber or used on a musket
Robert

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The scabbard and strap looks like it would make it an action piece. The adjustable strap adds to that.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thank you Ray. So you know other things other than 409’s Gin n Tonics and .44’s
Robert
I've had my fifteen minutes of fame, now for the rest of the story. I probably spent three hours pouring over the internet looking at antique farmers tools looking for this tool to no avail. I knew that I had seen this tool, probably when I was at my grandfathers farm years ago but for the life of me couldn't remember what it was. Denny Ford came to the rescue after I posted pictures on Facebook. Bob Walker chimed in with the answer shortly after. So no, I only know cars, booze and guns and not very well.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
It came from Ann’s Grandfather’s collection up in Delaware. Ann said he grew corn! Her family were railroader’s also so I had no idea. But it seemed as all the railroad collection was engraved with PRR. Thanks to everyone that helped. Bob W and Denny
Robert