What magazines do you subscribe to?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'm getting bored sitting around the house taking care of things, thought I'd look for some additional reading materials. The mags I currently subscribe to are getting increasingly irrelevant to my interests.

So what magazines and what web sites/forums do you guys and gals subscribe to or frequent (beside the obvious 348-409 Forum!)? Paper or digital versions?

Thought I'd try to expand my horizons a bit.

Cheers! TomK

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This should be interesting as I am getting rid of most of them and looking myself. All are printed. The ones going are National Geographic, Hot Rod, Popular Science. I used to have Pontiac High Performance, Car Craft, Custom Rodder, and a few bike magazines also. I would like to find a good medium level science publication.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Many of the print versions are rapidly disappearing, and I just can't read too many more SBC vortec or 5.3 LS rebuild articles. So I am not as consistent as I used to be. I still like (usually) Hot Rod and Hot Rod Deluxe and I will occasionally pick up the muscle car mag, street rodder, or some of the truck mags. And I'd buy the Rodder's Journal just for the pics.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I’ve let them all go ..... used to receive subscriptions... super Chevy.... car craft.... popular hot rodding........ Hot Rod

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A lot of the ones I subscribed to were discontinued late last year. It used to be that during the first week of the month I would get a full month's worth of reading material in the mail. Now its "crickets". It's just not the same as looking at the interweb. TEN (The Enthusiast Network) Publishing (the print arm of "MotorTrend Group" dropped 19 of its 22 automotive magazines last December, including Street Rodder, Automobile, Lowrider, Truck Trends, Vette, 4-Wheel & Off-Road, Car Craft, Chevy High Performance, Classic Trucks, Hot Rod Deluxe, Diesel Power, Lowrider, Mopar Muscle, Muscle Car Review, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, Mustang Monthly, Super Chevy, Super Street, and Truckin' magazines.
The only 3 magazines that will continue to be published are: Motor Trend, Four Wheeler and Hot Rod.

Personnaly, I could give a flip about Motor Trend and Four Wheeler. I have a subscription to Hot Rod, but it is only an "okay" publication that really doesn't hit my buttons for what I build. I had four other subscriptions that were discontinued that I have received no notifications on how they are going to refund my subscription fees, some of which are paid out for another 2 years. This is on top of my subscription to Autoweek, which was also killed late last year.

One of things that I miss the most is the advertisers' "listings of products and who makes what" that I used to get from Street Rodder. That is a big loss to me and I would bet an even bigger loss to those manufacturers & dealers ability to promote & advertise their products to the guys that use them.

RIP builder magazines!
John

Last edited:

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Currently subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines (imo the best one out there), Corvette Restorer,
Old Autos Newspaper, and recently lost Muscle Car Review due to there closing down.........:doh

Donated 30 years of Super Chevy to local high school auto shop (remember those)......:cool:
Donated 30 years of Car Craft to a local hot rod club in London, Ont......:bow
Still have Hot Rod, Car Life, Car and Driver, Road and Track all suspect to be donated.....:scratch

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I mostly read shop manuals :reading
Yep! I do walk by the magazine rack at the store now and then to see what is being printed now days. There are some interesting paper prints out there but truely online is where its at. If you want to be overwhelmed, go to a Barnes & Noble. They have more automotive magazines than you could images possible and several of the publications come from over the pond in Europe.

FS560

Well Known Member
Now I only subscribe to American Rifleman (NRA) and Air & Space. I cancelled all the gun magazines and car magazines.

Car magazine writers have become too juvenile for me. It seems as if the only English language words they know are "trick" and "super trick". Then there is the name "rock crusher". So what, it is an M22 for Christ sake. I do tolerate the term "Rat Motor". It is a term of endearment, I suppose.

Doug Marion did not use that sort of juvenile writing. I remember a story in Chevy Rumble years ago by him wherein he stated "Even Then They Knew". Anyone remember that?

Ok, enough ranting for now

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well Mr. K, you have planted a burr in my ass and have made a decision!!!!!!! Gonna sell all my magazines!!!!
Of coarse, I have a lot of Super Chevys. A lot of 409 articles, drag racers, and all the hot to articles. Have some pictures of some of my customers that Doug put their builds in Super Chevy.
Then when Doug started Chevy Rumble, because I'd heard about some of his upcoming articles, I jumped in to be a dealer!!! Would sell a few to walk in customers. Chevy Rumble has all the articles on the 409's and the racer or builder.....Hayden Proffitt, Harold Clay who built Hayden's replica and tons personal information.
Now I have 20 or 30 motorcycle magazines I think from the late 70's and early 80's. THOSE ARE FREE.....gotta figure how to get them picked up!!!!
Secondly, have 4 hardback Easy Riders magazines!!!! These are the ones with the dirty pictures!!! I know Wristpin is already and excited and ready to go!!!!! And, just to let you know Wristpin......none of the pages are stuck together!!! The hardback binders were purchased from Easy Rider magazine.
Money......I said the bike issues are FREE but I would like shipping money.
The original Super Chevy's, I would like to have something....make me an offer with shipping. They have amazing information in them and lots of information for everyone to enjoy!!!
The Easy Riders and binders, I would like $100 and postage.
Now, for Chevy Rumble, my minimum was 20 per month at a cost of $3.25 each.....they sold for $5. ALL CHEVY RUMBLES ARE NOS. There are probably 200-300 magazines in those boxes. For the ones I'm selling, I would like $2.00 each for the quantity I will have to count out and let you know.
This isn't normally a place for sale and so......since Tom started this, I'd like to give him first shot at the Super Chevy magazines and Mr. Peronsality hisself.....Wristpin the chance at the Easy Riders!!!!!!!! Hope that's OK with everyone!
Thanks for listening!!!!
20200224_104848.jpg20200224_105110.jpg20200224_105135.jpg20200224_105233.jpg20200224_105246.jpg20200224_105329.jpg20200224_105218.jpg

Attachments

• 20200224_105218.jpg
    20200224_105218.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 4

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Look at upper shelf above the Chevy Rumble magazines.....I have probably 60-75 348 and 409 license plates.
Anyone interested??????

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The only one subscribe to one and it is “The Rodder’s Journal” have #1 to the latest, which is #81.
it only comes out 4 times a year.
But I read enough computer sites that it keeps me occupied during slow times.

Dave

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Lots of stuff to watch on YouTube Tom. I dropped the few magazine subscriptions I had, last year. I used to enjoy reading Auto Restorer, but they've been printing more and more articles on 80s and 90s vehicle repairs. That was it.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Currently subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines (imo the best one out there), Corvette Restorer,
Old Autos Newspaper, and recently lost Muscle Car Review due to there closing down.........:doh

Donated 30 years of Super Chevy to local high school auto shop (remember those)......:cool:
Donated 30 years of Car Craft to a local hot rod club in London, Ont......:bow
Still have Hot Rod, Car Life, Car and Driver, Road and Track all suspect to be donated.....:scratch

....oh ya and AMA (American Motorcycle) been a life member since the early 80's
when a one time $250. bought you a life time subscription......guess I did OK on that........:brow

wristpin

Well Known Member
Well Mr. K, you have planted a burr in my ass and have made a decision!!!!!!! Gonna sell all my magazines!!!!
Of coarse, I have a lot of Super Chevys. A lot of 409 articles, drag racers, and all the hot to articles. Have some pictures of some of my customers that Doug put their builds in Super Chevy.
Then when Doug started Chevy Rumble, because I'd heard about some of his upcoming articles, I jumped in to be a dealer!!! Would sell a few to walk in customers. Chevy Rumble has all the articles on the 409's and the racer or builder.....Hayden Proffitt, Harold Clay who built Hayden's replica and tons personal information.
Now I have 20 or 30 motorcycle magazines I think from the late 70's and early 80's. THOSE ARE FREE.....gotta figure how to get them picked up!!!!
Secondly, have 4 hardback Easy Riders magazines!!!! These are the ones with the dirty pictures!!! I know Wristpin is already and excited and ready to go!!!!! And, just to let you know Wristpin......none of the pages are stuck together!!! The hardback binders were purchased from Easy Rider magazine.
Money......I said the bike issues are FREE but I would like shipping money.
The original Super Chevy's, I would like to have something....make me an offer with shipping. They have amazing information in them and lots of information for everyone to enjoy!!!
The Easy Riders and binders, I would like $100 and postage.
Now, for Chevy Rumble, my minimum was 20 per month at a cost of $3.25 each.....they sold for $5. ALL CHEVY RUMBLES ARE NOS. There are probably 200-300 magazines in those boxes. For the ones I'm selling, I would like $2.00 each for the quantity I will have to count out and let you know.
This isn't normally a place for sale and so......since Tom started this, I'd like to give him first shot at the Super Chevy magazines and Mr. Peronsality hisself.....Wristpin the chance at the Easy Riders!!!!!!!! Hope that's OK with everyone!
Thanks for listening!!!!
View attachment 78921View attachment 78922View attachment 78923View attachment 78924View attachment 78926View attachment 78927View attachment 78928
Thanks for thinking of me Phil. I gave away my entire collection of Easyriders, Hotrod and Mopar Muscle years ago. It took several pickup loads to move.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It's a sad situation. Even the worst of them got kids to read and try to comprehend. Now?? Not so much. They all reflected a much more interesting culture, namely cars and Harleys, than what you see today.