What was the stupidest thing you ever did racing?

El Rat

Well Known Member
Well with me it's easy. I was in the final at an AHRA national event in Missouri. My helmet flip down was really scratched up (not much money to buy new). The guy in the other lane was a famous NHRA and AHRA racer. More about him and what he did in the final maybe later. Regardless I decided to leave it up, now this was a 200 inch rear engine car with a blown alky mouse...needless to say about 300 foot out my head was pushed up and back in the rollcage. Since I really needed the money (to get home and all) I stayed with it to the finish line. I can still remember seeing the checkered flags that were strung over the top of the finish line. What an idiot!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Linelock, yep me too.

Took me a while to get coordinated enough to take my finger off that stupid switch, release the clutch and do that gas thing with my other foot!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
After tearing rear end out on first 63 ,then rear end and bending two piece driveshaft on the 64 ,I decided that was enough.This was not on drag strip ,but Still convinced me. I decided if I go to the drags I will sit in the stands.:D

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Well........this is just the latest installment of my dumbass attacks. After being advised numerous times by some very good racers, to stop doing old school dryhops after the burnout, I proceded to split the Jerico 4- speed transmission case wide open. Doubt if there is anything saveable , except maybe the shifter handle. Never got in a run. Just happened about 3 hrs. ago, at Milan Dragway.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well........this is just the latest installment of my dumbass attacks. After being advised numerous times by some very good racers, to stop doing old school dryhops after the burnout, I proceded to split the Jerico 4- speed transmission case wide open. Doubt if there is anything saveable , except maybe the shifter handle. Never got in a run. Just happened about 3 hrs. ago, at Milan Dragway.
Well at least you contributed to the thread!!!:D

RCampbell

Well Known Member
If you need to up grade...I have a clutchless Liberity 4 speed.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
They tell me confession is good for the soul. So here goes. I have probably done all the above. 1st gear burn outs...left in third gear and then pulled 4th...you should see that clutch....yep call me Mr 4 speed. Started racing years ago with a powerglide. They told me to shut the car down by bumping it into neutral and turning the motor off. Worked fine until it went into park at 122 mph...call me Mr 4 speed. Down shifted a clutchless gear box...yep...Mr 4 speed. When I bought the Cuda we freshened the motor...I put it in the car...now this was another automatic. The car was set up to foot brake...4 calipers on the back axel. Setting in front of the shop I thought I should see how high the converter would flash...sooo...I locked the brakes down hard...looked straight at the tack and hit the throttle...wellll...it was in neutral...the limiter was not set!! I can say a hemi cherps the valves at 10,500. Yes...Mr 4 speed. Ahhh...confession is good.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If racing on Woodward Ave. in Detroit counts.
My 1st. 62 Impala with a 327 / powerglide could surprise a few folks.
Anyway I used to rev up that 327 in neutral (only god knows high, no tach).
One night rev’d it up at light and dropped it in gear and proceeded to break both axles and pig and case at one time.
Still can’t figure out why the universals didn’t go first.
Boy could that 327 sing thou.

Dave