What year do thet sell the most hi-performance parts for?

PhilBarone

Supporting Member 1
Hopefully I'll be selling my 64 Impala in the next few days and I'll hopefully be buying one that's already gone through a frame-off restoration so I'm wondering what's the best year to buy. What year do they make the most high performance parts for? I'd love a 58-60. Thanks! Phil

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hopefully I'll be selling my 64 Impala in the next few days and I'll hopefully be buying one that's already gone through a frame-off restoration so I'm wondering what's the best year to buy. What year do they make the most high performance parts for? I'd love a 58-60. Thanks! Phil

My guess would be the `63 but,,,,,, if you are looking at building a 409 any years 62 and up will have about the same amount of Hi performance parts that interchange and came stock.

The `63 being the year of the Z11 makes it the top of the Hi-Pro list.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Body style preferences

Phil:

Just my 2 cents, but all the 1958 to 1964 X frame cars are fairly collectible, if one is considering the two door coupe or the convertible. So it would come down to your taste or preference in body style. Some like the 58, others the 59 and 60, and so on. It's just your preference in body style. My guess from reading your previous posts is that you would be putting something other than a non-numbers matching engine in the bay, so originality isn't your thing. This leaves the field wide open in terms of drive train.

So think about which body style you like the most, consider going with one of those. I tend to make decisions based on cars I or my Dad used to have "back in the day", so I focus on the 1961 and 1962 model years. If Dad had a 1963 I'm sure I would have one as well :). My first car at age 15 was a 1961 Chevy, so I have one of those, and my favorite Chevy owned by my Dad was a 1962 SS so I have one of those. Glad he was a GM man :).

There are as many opinions as there are belly buttons, so go with your gut instinct and preference. You had a 1964, clearly that had some attraction.

Are you thinking "W" engine or something more exotic (as in "newer")?

Best,
TomK

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's been my experience (frustration) while collecting parts for my 60. That many parts are listed as 61 and up. Don't know why. My guess would be the 62's popularity would have the greatest number of repop parts...body etc..

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My guess would be the 62's popularity would have the greatest number of repop parts...body etc..

Not so,, the `63's seem to be the winner in that category.

The `62 is catching up though,,