What's a 63 Caddy convertible top frame worth?

bobs409

Administrator
I never deal with convertibles because I rarely see one around here but today, I found a 63 Caddy convertible so I snagged the top frame with cylinders. It's in really nice shape with no rust and moves smoothly.

I checked ebay and there is one guy who must be out of his mind, he has one listed in his store for $2,500 It's all rusty too!

So anyone know what this thing is worth?

Also, a 65 Impala came in with lots of options. It has one of those add on AC units so I dragged that home too. :D This is one of those Mark IV units I think are listed in the AC books that came with these cars.

Any idea on what it's worth?

Bob

Attachments

• 100_8180.jpg
    100_8180.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 35

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I was thinking 450-500

$400.00 - $500.00 would be my guess so I agree with Kdurgin.
However,...since I am not familiar with the desirability or rarity of the Cadillac stuff, I would recommend doing some research so as to not sell yourself short.

:?

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys. I searched ebay and only found the one I mentioned. Even did a Google search. Maybe that's a good sign though. :deal Makes the $50 I spent to buy it all worth it. :D Plus I got to use a Ford Tempo yard car to go and pick it up. :crazy Those Tempo's have to be good for something...

I'm going back today to get the quarter windows. I learned they are specific to 63-64 convertibles only and they are nice condition. I saw some of those on ebay for $299!

I just love this buy/sell thing. It's a treasure hunt!

I can find nothing on the AC unit anywhere. I know not everyone would want this big ugly thing hanging under their dash but it might be worth something for the rarity.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
you must have some deal worked out with your junkyard. Most yards that are here that are still around want HUGE $$$$$$ for any part. No way of doing what you're doing.
Plus where are the old cars coming from? don't see that many old (classic) cars being turned in to the junk yards.
:?

Sounds like you have a time machine that travels back to junkyards in the 1970's :D

:cool:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The bows are easily worth $2500. But....you have to find someone that needs them.
Caddy parts are generally worth 2-3 times what any Chevy part is, but way less buyers. 63 Impala bows would sell for $2500 easily, at least in Calif.

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, I hope this one is worth $2500! :eek:

Todd, lately I've been finding all kinds of good things. I'm running ragged trying to get everything before someone else does.

I get most of my old car stuff from a local pick n pull type yard. Their prices are low like $15 for steering column, $5 for a steering wheel, etc. Another yard I go to is small but I buy alot every week so he gives me really good prices. You have to act quick or it will be gone! Especially the EZ pull. Complete cars can get stripped to bare bones in 2 days flat around there!!!

These 2 places don't jack up the prices just because it's an old car. If they did, I could never make any money.

I'm just having a blast right now as I know one day it will end. I'll still be selling car parts but I guess it will be for the year 2015 vehicles :rolleyes:.

Most times the cars I get parts from have sat for a long time and are basically dead but I'm surprised by some. The 63 Caddy convertible is solid other than needing a floor. That one is a real shame, it belongs out on the streets. Another one, a 64 Caddy 2 dr coupe is there too and is solid. A 74 T-bird and a 71 Riviera that again, shouldn't be there. A few weeks ago about 15 Corvairs and a bunch of VW's came in. All types, 2 doors, 4 doors, wagons, trucks & vans. Most have sat too long and are only good for parts. They all came from one place so whoever it was obvisously collected them. Unfortunetly, he collected them only to leave them die a slow death. More than likely, the guy passed away and someone cleaned up his old rusty cars sending them to the junkyard. That's how I think some of these old cars get there.

If I owned the yard, cars like the Caddy's would never be put in. I'd sell them as project vehicles to keep them alive. Thankfully for my bank account, they don't do that though.

I don't put them in the junkyard but I can at least find good homes for the parts. It's good fun, good exercise and pays the bills. :)

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You should save any useable part from the Caddy's. Call a Caddy dealer out of Hemmings if you want to see what prices trim pieces etc fetch. OUTRAGEOUS

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Bob,
Check and see if the top latches are still in the Caddy, They break easy if the top is not adjusted correctly. My right side is broken if you find one. The repops are almost $300.00. If the power rams are still in the car, you should grab them and the pump. There is a 63-64 Caddy forum with free classifieds out there somewhere.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Bob, you keep at it! and be sure to tell us about all your finds.
It sure sounds like you are having fun with it. I used to part out a minimum of three cars a year. I don't think I've found a car in three years.

HAVE FUN!

:cheers

bobs409

Administrator
1958 delivery: nothing goes to waste on any of these cars. First thing I do is grab all the "good" stuff. Then I'll keep going back and keep picking away at it. In this time, anyone else that comes across it does the same. One nice thing about this EZ pull is they keep the old cars around for a long time.

MileHiSS: I did get the latches. They are pitted some but in good working order. I plan to list those today on ebay with many other parts. I did get the cylinders with the top frame. Was going to list them with the frame but maybe I should sell seperately. I also got the pump but so far, it doesn't work. It comes apart so I'll tinker with it, maybe I can get it going.

droptop62: I never find whole cars on my own. They seem to find the junkyards and I guess that's good enough. Actually it's better in a way. I get to buy all the goodies and leave the garbage with them. :D I don't have a hulk to cut up and haul off either. I'm having a whole bunch of fun! It's almost addictive in a way. I don't think I could stop now if I wanted. :crazy

bobs409

Administrator
Well, it's all on ebay now so it's up to the people as to what it sells for.

I put the top frame on for $500.00 no reserve.

I did manage to get the pump working, it was just stuck from sitting. Works great now! All lubed up and brushes are really good. I learned this pump also fits 1963/64 Chevy, Olds & Pontiacs.

Top frame, pump, cylinders, latches, moldings and rear quarter windows all on in seperate auctions.

See all my stuff here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Bobs-Classic-Antique-auto-parts

Bob

TONY0707

Well Known Member
Antique 1963 -1964 Cadillacs

HI i owned a 1963 super sport 409-425 hp 4 speed chevy brand new-have posted here before about it-super stock track record holder-ISLIP speedway - NEW YORK- that is why i stop by this site from time to time---the day my father bought me that car(now thats one cool car guy dad ) -he also bought a 1964 Cadillac convertible-that i now have in my garage-it is 45 years old- and my pride and joy--i saw your post about the convertible top frame-- being a 64 cadillac owner -i am a consultant on the website for 63-64 Cadillacs--you can see my car on that site-labled -TONY AND GINNY 429--i am writing this so that i can give you the web site but i must come back after getting the info as the old site was removed and two new sites have risen out of its ashes- and i need to get the info--be right back- this might help you sell some of your caddy parts REGARDS TONY LENTINI

TONY0707

Well Known Member
1963 and 1964 cadillac web sites

HI--i am back---first--1963&1964cadillacsite-multiplysupportco---second-cadillac_6364_club:1963&1964cadillacclub---sorry i cannot get you there from my post- do not know how to do that- maybe someone else can-- hope this helps you sell some of your stuff -Jason Edge started the first web site -he knows more about these cars than most people alive-and you will find him to be very helpful in any way he can -he sells parts from cars he has disassembled over the years and keeps them indoors-these year Cadillacs are his passion- he is also president of the ELVIS INTERNATIONAL CLUB-and a real great guy--good parts hunting REGARDS TONY

TONY0707

Well Known Member
HEY IMPALAGURU---no never did find that old great car- went down a lot of roads that all ended in dead ends to try and find here -it was just to many years ago -info was no longer available as chevy did not keep good records then--but thanks for asking----TONY

bobs409

Administrator
Any chance the convertible top frame from a 63 Caddy fits a Chevy???

Someone just wrote and asked for measurements so that thought popped into my head. Stupid Hollanders books don't list these.

If this fit's Chevy, I'd have more possible buyers. :deal

So far, no takers, just lookers. :grumble: