What's a Z-11

impalamike.com

Supporting Member 1
I believe the car, but I've heard it refer to the motors with high port heads, two piece intake manifolds and 409/427 cubic inches. Of course Wally Bell took that motor and put it in a more competetive Chevelle body and then bored and stroked the motor out to 508 cubic inches.

Speed

Supporting Member 1
57 or so 63 Impala's..alumn. front end ,bumpers ,trunk,
427 inch 409 style engine 2 piece intake manifold..,etc. ( RPO Z-11 )
Very few standing today...

This picture was sent to me..Believe me, Z-11's were fast..BUT a Chute?:dunno

car unknown, photo too.

Attachments

• somebody's z-11 with a chute unreal.jpg
    somebody's z-11 with a chute unreal.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 194

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Wally: Probably at Delmar it is famous for the old short shut down area.. I think several in history have gone over into the field.
robert

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
57 or so 63 Impala's..alumn. front end ,bumpers ,trunk,
427 inch 409 style engine 2 piece intake manifold..,etc. ( RPO Z-11 )
Very few standing today...

This picture was sent to me..Believe me, Z-11's were fast..BUT a Chute?:dunno

car unknown, photo too.
trunk?

Z11 info:

http://www.348-409.com/z11.html

The '62 Impala SS's with the alum front clip were delivered from the factory with stock 409/409 engines. The "Z11" type intake/heads had to be dealer/owner installed.

Rick

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Rick, what about the crank...... If they did it that way they would have had to replace the complete engine wouldn't they????

Dave

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Z-11...................

Attachments

• Thunderbolt%20024 and Wally.jpg
    Thunderbolt%20024 and Wally.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 181

Parts

Well Known Member
Here is another Z 11 in 63.
Larry

Attachments

• Harrell 63 Z-11 Chevrolet @ Beeline.jpg
    Harrell 63 Z-11 Chevrolet @ Beeline.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 175

Jimmy2

Z-11 interesting info

Hey Rick, what about the crank...... If they did it that way they would have had to replace the complete engine wouldn't they????

Dave

Quoting from Alan Colvin in "Chevrolet by the numbers" 1960 to 64, his research shows probably 50 Z 11 cars produced in 63. Sounds like they were a complete package with alumunum body parts and suspension and brake differences from the normal pass. car. His research shows an interesting fact though. There was one Z 11 "part engine" came out of the Tonawanda engine plant in 65. He didn't know where it went, or why it was built.
Jimmy2:p

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Quoting from Alan Colvin in "Chevrolet by the numbers" 1960 to 64, his research shows probably 50 Z 11 cars produced in 63. Sounds like they were a complete package with aluminum body parts and suspension and brake differences from the normal pass. car. His research shows an interesting fact though. There was one Z 11 "part engine" came out of the Tonawanda engine plant in 65. He didn't know where it went, or why it was built.
Jimmy2:p

Alan's books contain a lot of errors, use them as a reference but don't believe everything in them. At one time the publisher kept a webpage covering the items in error and there are a lot depending on your edition. Supposedly errors were corrected in subsequent editions.

Bill

Speed

Supporting Member 1
The few left are arguably dollar valued the highest of any of the period factory built drag cars.
Z-11..even sounds cool
In '63..Really cool.