What's going on

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will do that Jeff. I can be a spontaneous SOB, so you never know about me. I'm really looking forward to going there someday. Funny you mention Sacramento, I have a cousin that lives there. Not really close. Only see her when she returns to NY for funerals. As for housing prices, I think location means everything as you point out. In my area, a bi level home design is very popular. Offers a lot of bang for the buck. On 1/3 acre of ground in a decent area, that house could fetch $275,000.00 to $300,000.00. Now, that same house in Rockland County, about 40 miles south of me and 25 miles from NYC, will cost you $450,000.00 to $500,000.00. If you go north of me into the adjoining county, you're lucky to get $200,000.00 to $225,000.00 for that same house. Guess location is everything, Carmine.

Bi level is very popular in San Francisco

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bi-sexual too. :teehee
:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2. Just amazes me of the asking prices of some homes. San Francisco is definitely way up there. Everything seems expensive. I don't know if I've ever seen anything under one million. Not too far from me is Greenwich, Conn. , which at one time had the 2nd highest housing prices in the country. Can't forget the Hamptons on Long Island. Several movie stars out that way. One particular news channel was profiling homes, apts., condo's, townhouses, etc., in Manhattan, LI, NJ and Conn. Never saw one less then 7 million dollars. As much as 48 million dollars several times. Personally, I could give a rats butt less. I don't care. Never cared about that. What makes me laugh is after they profile the dwelling and say it can't be yours for megabucks, the next news story is about a murder that took place at a Harlem shelter. Two residents were fighting over the last slice of toast. OMG. I don't make this stuff up, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Personal residence vales are closely aligned with square footage,, level of finish, and location.

My youngest son is looking at upgrading to a nearby neighborhood in St. Louis where the schools are much better. A 1930s house in this new (to his family) area can go for $200 per square foot and that's one that needs total renovation. Finished is more like $300 per square foot. So a 3300 square foot house fully renovated runs in excess of $1M. That's a lot, and so are the taxes associated with such a residence... There is a street (Delmar) that separates University City from Clayton and prices double when you cross the street into Clayton, MO.

By comparison I can construct brand new 1860 square foot 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath units with two car garages (another 440 square feet) for about $65 per square foot, not including the lot.

Talked to a developer from London UK and he was building new construction in London for $1000 per square foot. But he was building from stone, which lasts 500 hundred years or more. I build from stick with dimensioned lumber...

TomK

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I wouldn't want to be held to it, but around here, new, stick construction, minus the price of the land, is about $110.00 per square foot. Guess that is a fair price. Really don't know.

Mike, your ocean view, very possible from St. Louis. Depends on the strength of your telescope :laughing, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Carmine, around here $110 per square foot (minus the lot) is about right. You can trim out nicely, select nice cabinets and counter tops, etc. for that amount. It can go up from there depending on higher end finishes. I save about 10% by contracting everything out, coordinating the efforts of the sub contractors, and participating a bit myself (I do a lot of the "ground squirrel" stuff every day and then I get to be lead painter on the interior).

That's for new construction. Rehab can be more expensive, especially if you tear into all the walls, move a few, and put back new wiring, HVAC and plumbing, etc.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Many of us who are native Californians are still in shock. And, to some extent, we are kinda stuck here. Although we live in an area that is predominantly agricultural, we always took pride in SF and San Diego, even if the residents were a bit eccentric. Silicon Valley changed all of that, along with unfettered immigration and social justice idiots. That's a long story, but voting demographics are permanently skewed with no relief in sight. So now we have:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...es-feces-littering-streets-san-francisco.html

so, while the population numbers tell one side of the story, the homeless problem is overwhelming many local governments at a time when they are already unable to maintain infrastructure, and the state is piling on new taxes and programs daily. As someone previously mentioned, the "golden geese" that are able to leave are doing so, wisely.

wristpin

Well Known Member
The golden geese are the liberals that created the influx of "migrant workers". Curious the living conditions of Pelosi's "migrants" and all their green card status. Anyone know and can post that info???

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A lot of us aren't liberals but are "golden geese" in the sense that we have or had jobs and pay taxes. So our money helps fund all of this nonsense. What I am saying is that a lot of people are disgusted by this and are looking for a way out. This will eventually create a state with more taking out than putting in. I have a lot of friends who have opted for Nevada, Idaho, etc.

wristpin

Well Known Member
A lot of us aren't liberals but are "golden geese" in the sense that we have or had jobs and pay taxes. So our money helps fund all of this nonsense. What I am saying is that a lot of people are disgusted by this and are looking for a way out. This will eventually create a state with more taking out than putting in. I have a lot of friends who have opted for Nevada, Idaho, etc.
I wasnt refering to the Normal everyday working Liberal. I meant the ones who get way more pay than their true value is worth and the liberal politicians who enact laws they dont have to live with.