whats the most "unusual" vehicle you ever drove?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Shane That is a very interesting ride. How fast would the thing go on hard pavement?? I don't think Cecil would want a wing tip in it though...He would have to do some fast talking:D
robert

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The most unusual vehicle I have driven or at the controls was a UH-1C Iroquois or Huey. I was crewchief on one early in my military career. Every time my aircraft was scheduled for flight with only one pilot, which was often at Ft Knox, I got to ride the other seat. I would have enlisted for life during those times, if they had ask, of course now I would anyway.:roll:roll:roll

Don

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You guys are way off !!:doh

I was a Peugeot mechanic for a few years and also worked on and drove many Citroens!!
The DS21 was a great car but weird at the same time and the 2CV is another odd one.
One other car that got a lot of flack was the Saab Sonnet V4.

Attachments

• Resize of 800px-Citroen_DS_21.jpg
    Resize of 800px-Citroen_DS_21.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2cv-Cb72.jpg
    2cv-Cb72.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1968_Saab_Sonett_V4_red.jpg
    1968_Saab_Sonett_V4_red.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 13

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4

I was a Peugeot mechanic for a few years and also worked on and drove many Citroens!!
The DS21 was a great car but weird at the same time and the 2CV is another odd one.

Jim

When I was a youngster we went to Holland to visit some relatives. There were lots of Citroens driven here. An uncle had a car like the one on the right. If I recall correctly...when he started the car...air bags would inflate the suspension to "ride" height and the car would squat down again when he would turn the engine off. An early "low rider". The car in the centre picture was nicknamed the (translated into English) as the "Ugly Duckling" by locals...but very popular.

I returned to Holland in 1972. This time had a ride in a car made by the Dutch called a DAF. The car was not really unusual... but the transmission was pretty unusual to me. It was not manual or automatic and had no noticable "shift" points. It had a variable speed tranny. NICE.

Ron

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member

DS21 was not really odd, hydraulic suspension is not really that unusual.
I drove one for a while, they are actually a nice ride.

The 2CV was the French version of Hitler's "Peoples Car", if gas goes back to $4.00 a gallon we will see something similar here, the liberals will probably proclaim mandatory U.S. production and purchase of "Smart Car's"! :eek:

Saab Sonnet was more interesting when they had three cylinder two-stroke engines, the Ford V4 ran rough and is expensive to rebuild.

bobs409

Administrator

Now I KNOW we need to get the puking smilie! :roll Could they have made that first car any uglier? :eek: I watch the old Mission Impossible shows and frequently see these. I laugh everytime. :roll

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not really unusual but not many guys have driven one either, 1943 Willys jeep. My grandfather had one that we did everything on the farm with. Plowed the fields, pulled the sickle bar, added a trailer and hauled coal, manure, red dog stone etc. I learned to drive this when I was around 10 yrs old. I can remember my father hopping between the wind rows behind it while plowing the field with an old plow share that was for a horse team. Even then I understood that slipping the clutch to slow down enough to plow would burn the clutch up, so I wouldn't do it. Had big ole lug tires on it with chains all around. That jeep would go anywhere!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In my early days I worked construction and ran a D8 Cat and a Northwest Model 25 and a 45 shovel. Natuarally that led me to airplanes?:dunno

Also my first car was a 47 Crosley 4 banger wagon. I mowed a lot of lawns to get the $50 to buy it at age 13. In Texas at the time you could get a drivers license at 14. I bought the car and just before my 14th birthday they changed the law to 16.:mad:

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
1975 Opel Manta 4 cyl. with Bosch injection
1974(?) Saab Sonnet v4

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Now I KNOW we need to get the puking smilie! :roll Could they have made that first car any uglier? :eek: I watch the old Mission Impossible shows and frequently see these. I laugh everytime. :roll

Actually I`m very fond of the DS cars.
They have a ride that only the Citroen can deliver with its hydraulic system and very advanced for its time.
They even were the first car to have front wheel drive.
The system was/is a very good one in design and function.

You can set the ride height and lower it when parked.
You also can lift the wheels off the ground (one at a time ) to change a tire.
An Amazing car !!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
wasn't there some kind of a Maserati variant or model of this car too?

That would be the SM. quite the car !!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_SM

The Citroen company produced its first practical front-wheel drive in 1934, a year in which they also introduced torsion bars, a unitized body, and a dashboard gear shift. It was a revolution in auto motive design and the 1934 Citroens were so reliable that they were made without major changes for over 20 years.

http://www.oldandsold.com/articles01/article825.shtml

Attachments

• Resize of 800px-Citroen_SM_at_Anet.jpg
    Resize of 800px-Citroen_SM_at_Anet.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 33

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Wow, until DQ posted the photo of the Citroen SM I completely forgot about driving one of those. I was a young sailor and a woman who took a special:brow interest in me for a weekend had one and let me drive. Truth be known, I really remember very little about driving the car:dunno Maybe my mind was someplace else:roll

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Ronnie,

She was just using me::eek:, then she threw me away:cry

As a 19 year old, it was an eye opening experience:D:roll:roll

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Actually I`m very fond of the DS cars.

They even were the first car to have front wheel drive.

BZZZZT! :eek:
WRONG! :eek::eek::takethat
As I recall, even the Cugnot steam wagon was front wheel drive.
Some claim it as the FIRST car.
I've seen classic Cord's from the thirties, with front wheel drive.