What's the secret?

GMC_DUDE

OK, this is probably a pretty dumb question, but I won't know the answer unless I ask, so here goes. I've read several reviews on factory stock 409-equipped cars, both on this site and a couple others, and performance is usually 0-60 in the 6 or 7 second range, and 1/4 miles in the high 14's to 15's. Yet many of you guys are running in the 12's and even 11's, substantially faster! What mod or mods open the 409 up so much from its stock configuration? If the engines are this powerful why were they so limited in stock form? Were they deliberately detuned for safety reasons, or was it economy? I just can't get over what a difference there is. Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am truly baffled.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
"Factory Stock"

No dumb questions just dumb answers! Pistons are lighter, cams are way better. Most of us are running with "todays soft rubber" drag tires, either DOT drag radials or drag slicks. No doubt most of the magazine tests are being run with the car right from the dealer or factory without the benifit of the likes of Hayden Proffit super tuning the engine. When Hayden and others of his caliber got ahold of these engines/cars they would run like the devil. Fred Totten (SS425HP) ran his 63 "in the day" in the high 11s. You just arn't reading the right press! :deal

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know Fred and the other were running those HARD rubber slippery slicks and getting into the low twelves back then.
The tuning and running lower gears then the factory hiway ratios helped. dq

Gus68

Well Known Member
12s

NEW SLICKS!!!!!! Not old hard 7in. retread "Cheaters". Also Super tuning!!! Different cams, BETTER cams, different weights and springs in the dist. headers! better, more precise rocker arms. thinner head gaskets, shaved heads, port work, better piston design. Carb tuning!!! gear ratios, clutch or converters. Have you ever seen or read about stock and superstock drag cars?? they have VERY restrictive rules on keeping things stock but yopu can tune them all you want. I have seen these car run in the 11s and high 10s. I know of one 68 chevelle with a STOCk 327 headers, factory cast intake and Quadrajet and 4 speed running high 11s. There is also a series cals F.A.S.T. with stock muscle cars rinning low 11s high 10s with red line tires, there is a hemi cuda with a 4 speed running high 10s!!!!

Brent

I know Fred and the other were running those HARD rubber slippery slicks and getting into the low twelves back then.
The tuning and running lower gears then the factory hiway ratios helped. dq
Yep, my dad was running low 12's way back then too but he had a Potvin cam, Jes Tyree headers, 5:38 gears and those hard M&H Racemasters. Pretty impressive what those engines are capable of. :cool: