wheel hop

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
Does pinion angle have anything to do with wheel hop? I've set my pinion angle at 3 degrees positve in order to accomodate my ride height and one piece driveshaft. The only problem is I'm getting severe wheel hop all the way through second gear and into third until it hooks. I've got the two upper adjustable control arms mounted and it doesn't seem to help. My rear springs are out of a 67 Chevelle. I don't know what the spring rate is, but they are pretty stiff, could that be my problem?

I have to ask...
WHY Chevelle springs ? !
HOW did you get them in there ?
Aren't they a COMPLETELY different design ?

Sounds like you've got pretty big power. If your bushings are rigid, you will STILL need a couple degrees "down" on the pinion. No more than that though.

Oh, you say "accommodate your ride height"...
Higher ? Lower ?

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
my ride height is about two and a half inches higher than stock. The springs were in the car when I bought the rolling chasis so I'm not sure what was involved with installing them. They look just like the stock springs just alot stiffer.:dunno

Gotta get your ride height back to normal:doh
If they look like stock springs, and they have the length to raise the rear like that... then they're probably 59-64 station wagon rear springs:dunno

Wheel hop will never be cured while the rear is up in the air:p
You mut also have shocks with good control. I know about this tire spin problem... because it's all I've ever had:doh :rolleyes:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Degree is relative?

What is the Transmission side angle?

Attachments

• pinion.jpg
    pinion.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 45

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Btw

Craftsman just came out with a reasonably priced Digital Level. Would make all this angle stuff quite easy. I think it was $39.00

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
The car sits almost completely level. The front springs are for a 409 car I was told. I should have clarified that in the begining. I don't want you guys to think I'm running around looking like a high school kid with air shocks.:)

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 74

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gotta get your ride height back to normal:doh

Wheel hop will never be cured while the rear is up in the air:p

:roll O,,,YAH???? :evil

No wheel hop in my car !!!:D

Air bags !!!:brow

Come to think of it,,, didn`t have hop before the bags,,,,:scratch

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
With enough power to wheel hop through three gears it's time to step up to a DOT drag radial. The wheel hop will disappear. I have the same problem with my car. I have stock height and boxed everthing plus poly bushings added upper arm, air bags. Still wheel hops like crazy with the 255/60/15s. Bolt on a pair of M&H racemasters and the wheel hop is gone. Pinnion angle is in relation to the drive shaft isn't it? In that case the pinnion may look like its in the positve angle but should still be a minimum of 2 dgs down in relationship to thee driveshaft! Pinnion angle will try and move to a zero angle or at least toward the positive under hard acceleration, that's one reason it is almost always set to the negitive. Stock with the two piece driveshaft is 4 dgs neg. for my car.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Did someone say air shocks???

Here is a picture of my car, circa 1977. Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks!!!
Ross

Attachments

• dansweeneysgraduationpic[2].1977.JPG
    dansweeneysgraduationpic[2].1977.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 62

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They may be front springs from a chevelle in the back of your car. Much stiffer than the originals.

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys for all the help. The Car Craft tech article was especially helpfull ((thanks Dick). I learned that everything I thought I knew was wrong:doh . I didn't want to sacrifice my stance for performance but I may have to. Currently I am running KYB gas-a-just shocks on the rear ( I thought they were good shocks). Instead I think I will spring for those QA-1's that Aubrey is running:brow

Thanks again guys:bow