wheel size after shortening diff??????????????

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
so after replacing the diff with a 4" .. shortened 9" from quick performance..2" each side i'm wondering what size tires can i get in there , i have some 275 r60 15 here that i tried on a 7" rim that have 4 5/8 backspace and they are touching the frame and tucked to far inside..if i put 3" worth of washers on the studs to move the wheel out they clear the frame ...what do i need to fill things up..oh yeah it's been lowered 2" front and back!

Last edited:

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is with the rim spaced out with 2.5” of washers on the studs,,, just clears the frame on the inside..6" between the tire and fender !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 28

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A 12" wide tyre is about max for a stock frame and fender.
Your scenario is all about offsets, you need to measure it.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If your wheel has 4 5/8 back space and you moved it out 3 inches with washers, that would be like a wheel with 1 5/8 back space if I understand you correctly.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Everyone who is playing around with different rear axle width's and wheel offset should make one of these. I made this out of 1" & 1.25" heavy wall electrical conduit and had the axle flange plates water jetted with 3 bolt patterns (4.5", 4.75", & 5"), with the rear axle out of the car you bolt your wheels to it and slide it apart until you have the desired clearance in the wheel box. You then lock it down with the 2 set bolts and measure exactly what width you need to make your axle and what wheel offset you need.

IMG_5516.jpgIMG_5517.jpgIMG_5518.JPGIMG_5519.JPG.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
nifty tool, I'm gonna need one when I get into my 61...
If you lived close I would let you use it, it takes all the guess work out of the task of figuring out wheel offset and axle width. It will show you exactly how everything will fit in your car. If you want to make one and know someone or somewhere to get the plates waterjetted I can send you the cad file for those plates that have all three bolt patterns. The holes are cut to the tap size for 1/2"-20 threads so all you have to do is run a tap through them.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
what machine is the cad file for, I'm sure I'll be asked...I'll check around...sure appreciate it steve...rob

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
what machine is the cad file for, I'm sure I'll be asked...I'll check around...sure appreciate it steve...rob
Rob its a dxf file, should work with most equipment, if not let me know and I think I could convert it to something else. If you PM me your email address I will send you the file, then just dump it onto a thumb drive and take it to the shop that can cut them out.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
nifty tool, I'm gonna need one when I get into my 61...
Rob if you make one you will need to buy 1-10' piece of 1" and 1.25" heavy wall electrical conduit. Each 10' piece will come with 1 threaded coupling and the 1" piece will fit inside the 1.25" piece, I cut mine 45" long so they will extend out pretty far. If you need to be under 48" or so just cut the conduits a little shorter. I built mine because my Nova is built to SEGA (South East Gassers Association) rules which states if you don't cut out your wheel wells your tire has to come within a 1/2" of the inside of the wheel box or quarter panel and you can only run a max 10" wide wheel. I mini tubbed my car and am running 15" x 10" Halibrand Sprint wheels that have a 3-5/8" backspace, they tuck up inside real nice. I bolted the wheels with tires mounted to that pole and rolled it under the car and spread it apart till I had my 1/2" clearance and locked it down, piece of cake!!

IMG_3140.JPGIMG_3226.JPG

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
if i have 3" worth of washers on the studs then put the rim back on.................. on top off them, shouldn't that be increasing the amount of back space in terms of inches .?? !......................... totally confused even after reading backspace and offset !!!!!!!!!!!!!

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Maybe this will help on backspace.

IfvGuqmZZ7I3lSoblXa1L9MQOiUCzntvtQvJd3JJsNx8WRKf_BhDtgmGhk46g8RwajDxzu-8V1ouu2qZhz_qcdz0T5U3p0ZmOFg50bU3rj6xgKETQGdFHbtBTtL47Q
backspace.gif

Last edited:

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Say a 10" rim with a 3" back space and a 7" dish, you will need to also allow for the bulge in the side wall of the tyre.
without measuring and double checking, getting the right rim and tyre could get expensive.
A bit of mucking around, but you could get an old steel rim the width you want, remove the centre with the ability for a snug fit back in, fit a worn tyre to the rim that is your desired size, this will allow you to adjust the rim and tyre combo on the centre bolted to the hub, just don't drive with it !!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Say a 10" rim with a 3" back space and a 7" dish, you will need to also allow for the bulge in the side wall of the tyre.
without measuring and double checking, getting the right rim and tyre could get expensive.
A bit of mucking around, but you could get an old steel rim the width you want, remove the centre with the ability for a snug fit back in, fit a worn tyre to the rim that is your desired size, this will allow you to adjust the rim and tyre combo on the centre bolted to the hub, just don't drive with it !!
I think most tire manufactures can give you the cross sectional width of a given tire size on a specified wheel width.