Wheels

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I thought I might have previously posted this, but if I did, I can't find it. I took my wheels off my '62 along with original spinner hubcaps. Had the tires removed and have been working on the rims. I want to do them in body color and use the poverty hubcaps. Bought a nice used set on line. White walls on the inside. Sanded the rims really nice and cleaned them with a prep sol type product. Shot them with 2 coats of a high build prime. The high build prime is made by SEM. Rattle can. Covers nice for what I need it for. I really like it. After drying, sanded the primer with 400 grit. Cleaned them again and sprayed them with 2 coats of a rattle can that I had made at my local auto paint store. Only did two and they look really nice. Can't wait to see what they look like with the poverty hubcaps on the car. Will post some picks when I'm done, Carmine.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
It's Funny, how the term Poverty, has changed, in it's meaning, over the years.:dunno Back in the day, Poverty, as in hubcaps meant Cheap, Un- wanted etc. Now it means, the prices of these Hubcaps, will put you in Poverty, after you buy them.:doh:bang I'm sure, they will look fantastic, on your 62, Carmine.:applI've been looking, for 4 SS hubcaps for my 64.:clap Been looking, for about 10 years, but I'm Not ready, to give up an Arm or a Leg.:eek3:eek1

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looking forward to the finished product. I'm looking to have a set as you described. Maybe just for the more traditional shows. Pretty bad that i've already grown tired of my Torq Thrust look-a-likes and the car hasn't even hit the road yet.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looking forward to the finished product. I'm looking to have a set as you described. Maybe just for the more traditional shows. Pretty bad that i've already grown tired of my Torq Thrust look-a-likes and the car hasn't even hit the road yet.
Yup, I understand. I never liked the poverty aka dog dish hubcaps until I really started looking closer at them. They kind of grew on me. I have an original set. One is very nice. Two are good and one I would replace if I found a better one. I'm sure I'll like them. If not, no problem. The wheels will be done up nicely and I can reverse the white walls and use the spinner hubcaps again. But, I just don't see that happening, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just checked the wheels. Paint looks good. Dried nicely. The shine is a little bit above or maybe equal to a semi gloss. I have a clear I could shoot them with. It's probably a matter of preference, but how shiny/glossy were the wheels when they left the factory?? I don't recall a whole lot of shine. Thanks, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
They were probably just the same as the body . Oh,there are some dog dish cap's on e/ bay now if you wanted to replace the bad dog dish cap you have.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Don. I'll take a look, Carmine.

Just took a look. Wants $60.00 for a single hubcap. Been on there for a while. Its worse then mine. That guy is a dreamer. Oops. Hope its no one here.

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Just checked the wheels. Paint looks good. Dried nicely. The shine is a little bit above or maybe equal to a semi gloss. I have a clear I could shoot them with. It's probably a matter of preference, but how shiny/glossy were the wheels when they left the factory?? I don't recall a whole lot of shine. Thanks, Carmine.

Actually they probably shined a little more than the body did. In the early sixties the bodies were shot with lacquar while the wheels were shot with enamel paint

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Yep, I like Cragars too. I still have a set for the Pied Piper.

But if I had my choice the Morbecs would be it. There's a guy locally here that has a set of six 14" Morbecs and wants Cragars but we've never struck a fair deal.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm not 100% convinced that I like the shine of the wheels the way they presently are. I might want to shoot a glossy clear coat on top. Question: the paint is dry and about 3-4 days old. If I decide to do this, should the paint be scuffed with lets say about a 600 grit paper first, maybe something a little lighter in grit or nothing at all?? Thanks, Carmine.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, I would talk to the paint person at the store you purchased your paint from. You will need to know what type and manufacturer of paint is in the can. Then either the paint person or the companies website will provide recoat information. It almost sounds like they put base coat in the cans which will require a clear coat. You can usually clear over the base coats if done within 24 hours or so(see manufacturer recommendations) without scuffing. Any longer than that will require scuffing.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Jim. They look nice and have a semi-gloss look to them. I'm leaning towards leaving them as is, but if not, want to know about applying a clear, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Maybe you should post some picture's of the wheel's and let us decide for you Carmine!!!!!!! :rub:rub

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it is lacquer or enamel, a light scuff with a grey scotchbrite pad is all that is needed. If it's a basecoat, they MUST be cleared or they will have zero durability. If it is a metallic, a recoat of the color will be needed to ensure a uniform finish.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If it is lacquer or enamel, a light scuff with a grey scotchbrite pad is all that is needed. If it's a basecoat, they MUST be cleared or they will have zero durability. If it is a metallic, a recoat of the color will be needed to ensure a uniform finish.

It does have a little metal in it because I heard the guy remark about it. Not a base coat. It does have some decent shine to it. I know they can alter the shine when mixing the paint. Guess I should have asked for a little extra clear in it. Sometimes I should really leave things alone. Got the other 2 wheels in prime. Sand them lightly and then shoot them with the body color paint. They all get 2-3 solid coats. Fit the poverty hubcaps on them and then make a decision, Carmine.