when is the convention ??

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
convention-----get together

I'm not aware of a "convention" this year. We are having a get together the first week end in June at Clay City, Kentucky. All are welcome. So far, I think we have 20+ 409 cars saying they will be there. June 2-4, I believe. It will be informal, camping if you want, or motel if you would rather. We did this last year at Norwalk, and had a great time.

Come on down

Fred

only 8hr

hey june sounds good. I didn't know clay city's only 8hr from buffalo, ny I would like to come, time will tell though.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
racing in Clay City

What safety requirements will be needed to race. My 62 has no seatbelts. Will I have to put a set in? Safety inspection or just street legal. I want to make sure my brick will be able to run! Getting some parts together and need to know what else I will need. Looking foreward to running other 409 cars. :cheers Brian

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clay City

I would put seat belts in. Depends how fast you go. I would also have a helmet available. If you don't have one, I'm sure we can find one that will fit. I have never been questioned real hard down there. I have regular seat belts. They will look hard at shorts, though. They like long pants for sure. Anywhere you go will be like that. Unless you are going to get into the mid 11s, I think you would be OK. 12.0 and up, no problems. If something comes up, we will help you get down the track. There will be enough of us to see that you have what you need.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Fred

Thanks for the help. With my stroker low 12's or high 11's are possible. All depends on MY ability. I'm sure the car will handle the abuse. Trying to get 4:56 and upgraded axles before Clay City. Scattershield and slicks are also a must. I spent most of my money this winter doing a 64 Willys Jeep so now I gotta start saving money again. Too many irons in the fire I guess. Even without the upgrades I will still bring the car and run it in street trim. Wish I would have met up with you at the convention in Kansas City. I saw your car just never met you. I didn't bring my car to the convention because it still needed work. Well, it still needs work but it is coming with me to Kentucky!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clay City

Glad to hear you are coming to KY. We will make it a point to meet this time. As for a scattershield, I have a Lakewood Bellhousing that is out of certification. I think they charge $75.00 to recertify. I could get it done for you, if you want to go that way. They are a pain, I'll tell you that. You have to remove them to change a clutch. But, they are a lifesaver or foot saver if ever a clutch blows. I have used them since they came out.
I also have a beefed up 4.56 posi, if interested. It does not have the bigger axle gears.
We will try to help you any way we can.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
They always seem to look for a rad overflow tank. It doesn't have to be fancy. If your cars e.t. falls between 13.99 and 11.50 you need a helmet that meets snell 90 of sfi 41.1a specs or better and if you've got slicks they look for a driveshaft loop. The X frame pretty much covers that requirement. I'm not sure about seat belts but my guess is they woud be a requirement.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Helmet, ETC.

Jim, I think the Snell 90 is out this year. Last year they were looking at my helmet, and remarked about it being a 2000, which would still be good this year. I'm not positive about this, but I would look into it. NAPA has a radiator overflow kit that works as a catch can. Mine has gone through tech OK. Stock seat belts are OK down to 11.49 ET. Lower, they want certified belts. This is stuff that I was oked with last year. There were some suggestions made, but not enforced. Like SFI balancer, and fuel line running inside the X alongside the drive shaft. That I'm changing this winter. They are generally pretty good about what they allow. The easiest tech I went through was at the reunion in Bowling Green. That was NHRA, too. You just really never know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, you will be OK at Clay City.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All of the above comments are good suggestions, but Fred hit the nail of the head. " You just never really know". Ive seen drag strip techs that didnt know what SFI means. Some check everything, some check nothing. The years I raced a 63 with rear battery, I kept waiting to be turned down for not having trunk compartment sealed, as Aubrey commented on in another thread. Dont remember the tech guy ever looking inside the trunk for anything. Went to another strip with a friend who was not allowed to run because of no rear battery vent. "you just never really know".

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've been teched at both NHRA and IHRA. At route 66 the big NHRA track outside of Chicago the tech guy didn't really check anything on our car but the tech guy next to us was putting that guy through hell. At Norwalk a tech guy told me that I needed washers on the hime-joint bolts, but the most stringent tech was at our local dragstrip Great Lakes Dragway Union Grove Wis. go figure????:dunno

Tony