when was it built?

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
MY 62 BUBBLETOP HAS A PRODUCTION NUMBER OF 206398. HOW DO I FIGURE OUT THE APPROX. DAY AND MONTH IT WAS BUILT? I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR A 62 BELAIR STEERING WHEEL. THANKS:confused:

bobs409

Administrator
bbq,

Your car will have a build date on the cowl tag in one of the upper corners. Will look like, 5D, 11E, etc. The first number is the month and the letter is the week of that month.

dadz409

BBQ,
02D would work out to Feb 4th week of the month, more specifically, Feb 19-24.
Febuary of 1962 actually had 5 weeks the car could have been built, a short first one , then 4 full weeks.
Also something to keep in mine, this tag shows the body build date. This car could have been assembled as late as late march 62. My research has uncovered a 1962 built Impala with 10D, 4th October 61, car was ordered, still in hands of original owner, assembled in early December and delivered Dec 14, 1961. So in this case the body was built/tagged almost 2 months before delivery.
Take care, Gary

bbqcruising

Supporting Member 1
MAN DATE

THANKS GARY. I AM TRYING TO GATHER 409,409 PARTS FOR MY BUBBLETOP AND I AM GOING TO TRY TO MAKE THE DATES ACCURATE. I KNOW FROM MY CORVETTE EXPOSURE, BETTER TO HAVE DATES BEFORE BUILD DATE THAN AFTER. THANKS AGAIN:)