Where I live... Junky

Junky

Well Known Member
Another critter that came by to visit one day. I was surprised by it lying on the concrete sun bathing, and I believe that he had as much respect for me, as I did for him (assuming it was a male). Some people would have immediately tried to kill it, however, I also know that they keep the mouse population in check. I haven't seen a snake close to the house in the last few years, except for the newborns, and I haven't been plagued by mice like I had been in the past.

Nokia Old_2 063.JPGNokia Old_2 064.JPG

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Another critter that came by to visit one day. I was surprised by it lying on the concrete sun bathing, and I believe that he had as much respect for me, as I did for him (assuming it was a male). Some people would have immediately tried to kill it, however, I also know that they keep the mouse population in check. I haven't seen a snake close to the house in the last few years, except for the newborns, and I haven't been plagued by mice like I had been in the past.

View attachment 87780View attachment 87781

Trying to warm up. What is it?

Junky

Well Known Member
Trying to warm up. What is it?

I looked it up after I posted the picture. It is an Eastern Milk snake. They eat mice and other small critters. I used to have a mercury vapor night light in front of the garage, and the nighttime insects would get too close to the bulb, and get fried, and fall to the concrete below. There were always a lot of toads to clean up the carcasses, and the snake(s) to remove the excess toads. I have since switched to a LED light, and I no longer see the swarms of insects, the toads, or all the bats that would also feast on the insects. I probably should turn it on once or twice a week, just to keep all the wildlife fed.

Junky

Well Known Member