Where Were You In 1965

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was just thinking about my above post I knew of the mystery motor success at Daytona and Charlotte and in 65 when the 409 was switched to the small little 396 I as a 19 year old kid thought oh no a smaller cubic inch economy motor to replace a 409 V8. Wow look what happened a few years later. Anyone else have similar thoughts when the 65 396 corvettes and Impala were available
Robert

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Two years out of high school, working 45 hours a week at a Percision tool repair, fixing Micrometers, indicators and so on. Plus going to night College two nights a week. Wasn’t to good with the grades, so OLD UNCLE SAM called me in April of 67.

Dave

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
In 1965 I worked at a Rambler Dealer and then started with Cadillac / Oldsmobile in 1966 . Moved on to several Chevrolet dealers after that.and even a Pontiac dealer The only one I didn't work for was Buick. Graduated to Parts Manager for most of them I left King O' Rourke Cadillac in 1994 . BEEN THERE DONE THAT !!!:appl
:crazy:cheers

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
In 1965 I worked at a Rambler Dealer and then started with Cadillac / Oldsmobile in 1966 . Moved on to several Chevrolet dealers after that.and even a Pontiac dealer The only one I didn't work for was Buick. Graduated to Parts Manager for most of them I left King O' Rourke Cadillac in 1994 . BEEN THERE DONE THAT !!!:appl
:crazy:cheers
Neat you got to prep those new 3X2 442’s:bow
How many of those neat 66’s did you guys sell
Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I worked on one in 68 when I worked at the Olds dealer here in town.I had to go through the carbs and tune it[points,plugs,ect].,and adjustments.First 3x2 I'd ever worked with.The thing would idle like a kitten,and RIP when you tickled the end carbs.It's owner was very pleased.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Don I thought those 3X2 cars were “transistor” ignition? I always though a transistor ignition back then was unreal performance addition
Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Don I thought those 3X2 cars were “transistor” ignition? I always though a transistor ignition back then was unreal performance addition
Robert
This one had points,but the ign.may have been changed.Those early electronic ignitions were problematic,and nobody knew much about them.If and when they died they were converted back to points.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
All i can say is that i was in the 8th grade. I can say that by this time dad was selling or had already sold the Chevy 2 with the motor out of the 63. Dan Dean snagged a Yellow with black int. and black vinyl top 65 Z16 Chevell. He asked dad to drive the car at a big race in Houston which they won. I want to think it was an NHRA race but could have been an AHRA track. Don’t know what class they would have run with that car but would assume an upper super stock class. This was a race that i didn’t get to attend. That car was eventually sold to a local guy in Garland and he drove the car through college and soon parked it next to his parents house and the car litterly rotted away. Sad but true!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I was getting ready to meet Candy!!!!! I was a shoe salesman!!!! Yes....I was Al Bundy before Al Bundy knew he was Al Bundy!!!!!! Candy came down to start college and she and best friend came into the shoe store and my life. When I saw them come in the front door.....told the guys "they are my customers"!!!!!!!!
The rest is history!!!!!! I proposed on the second date!!!!!!!!!! She didn't know me very good yet!!!!!
Before marriage, I worked in an engineering department making printing presses. We married on Pat Lobbs birthday!!!!!! Hoping that might get me a red/red 62 Corvette!!!!!!!!!