Where Were You In 1965

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
In 65 while in Erie Pennsylvania I was deep in to mini bikes and Go Karts. My buddy had a beautiful Kart with twin West Bends and a live axle, direct drive. It would smoke the slicks when you dropped it off the jack. On one afternoon of mayhem in a Kmart parking lot I had the throttle of a two cycle mini bike stick open and I burned holes in a brand new pair of shoes trying to stop it! I wore those shoes for six months or more with cardboard stuck inside.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
In 65 while in Erie Pennsylvania I was deep in to mini bikes and Go Karts. My buddy had a beautiful Kart with twin West Bends and a live axle, direct drive. It would smoke the slicks when you dropped it off the jack. On one afternoon of mayhem in a Kmart parking lot I had the throttle of a two cycle mini bike stick open and I burned holes in a brand new pair of shoes trying to stop it! I wore those shoes for six months or more with cardboard stuck inside.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Notice the Heim joints in the bumper. I believe they were 1” male. My dad brought them home from the plant. I drilled holes in the bumper to secure the heim joints and modified my tow bar to fit. They may have been female with bolts from behind. My memory not what it was!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ok, 1965, working at a Chevy dealership, going to TCU until the tuition got in the way of building my black 61.(car below is one like I had in 65)

Uncle Sam called, door gunner on a Huey.
not me in photo, clipped it from internet), actually don’t ever remember taking photos.

Very fortunate to have won a big race in 61/409 at 65 AHRA Labor Day races.
F956FCF9-3A7B-45E0-A5E4-1EED654802F9.jpeg
2ECB0ECE-1D8C-45E2-B12F-8E37713EA777.jpeg6ACAB611-0625-46CD-96A7-1F2EFA764EF1.jpeg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
That was the last year I worked at the Chrysler parts depot in Newark De. Also last year I teched modified cars and staged races for eliminators at Cecil County Drag-O-way. That's me with my fingers in my ears! (probably one of the reasons I can't hear a thing these days.)

Dick_1962_CecilCounty_2.jpg

December of 65 I joined my uncle's flying club and became a pecker checker. :big As luck would have it I only worked in a hospital a short while before I met a Lt. Col. Moore. He was instrumental in getting me assigned to Air Evac. which ultimately put me in Germany at Rhein-Main Air Base! Crewing C-131 in Europe, switched to C-130 when I went Tack Air Evac. (Another reason I can't hear a thing!)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That was the last year I worked at the Chrysler parts depot in Newark De. Also last year I teched modified cars and staged races for eliminators at Cecil County Drag-O-way. That's me with my fingers in my ears! (probably one of the reasons I can't hear a thing these days.)

View attachment 83444

December of 65 I joined my uncle's flying club and became a pecker checker. :big As luck would have it I only worked in a hospital a short while before I met a Lt. Col. Moore. He was instrumental in getting me assigned to Air Evac. which ultimately put me in Germany at Rhein-Main Air Base! Crewing C-131 in Europe, switched to C-130 when I went Tack Air Evac. (Another reason I can't hear a thing!)
Huh?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17

View attachment 83444

dick I just took a close look at the two race cars. I’ll bet that was a great run
Robert

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
In 1965 I was 14 yar old and I was thinking about karts & mini-bikes then one day I saw a Honda ad in a magazine of their little trail bike that looked like a girls bike anywho I was hooked and after I popped the big question to Dad about co-signing for loan for a bike to which he said yes (I was floored) I went trail bike shopping and stopped at Johnny Romans cycle shop in Youngstown Oh. and spied a purty red 1965 Suzuki Hillbilly 80 cc trail bike I was hooked. I payed for this bike with my own money working for this tight wad farmer for 50 cents an hour man he was a crank I guess you could say he made me feel like Donald Trump in how the Dems pick on him all the time I could not do anything right according to him so it was extra special the day I told him I was quitting.:D

Mark