Which crossmember holes for a PG car?

bobs409

Administrator
Tried searching but couldn't find anything. For a 63 with a powerglide, does the cross member use the upper or lower mounting holes?

:scratch

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Without looking it up, I pretty sure it's the lower holes. I should remember as I just replaced the powerglide in my four door with a 700R4, but I don't. I know the 700R4 is the lower holes, I think. :scratch:rub:dunno

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For some reason I think I just read somewhere that the automatics were on the lower and the standard was upper, however that is a guess. The real experts will let you know when they get around to it.

bobs409

Administrator
So after "feverishly" searching the assembly manual, :sweat I found one page that shows it and it says bolt #3, top hole. There is no mention of automatic or manual however. ?? Did the manual cars use the lowers???

So I guess it's the top holes then until I hear otherwise. (which means I have to move mine UP) :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
"Note: There are two sets of holes in the frame for the crossmember bolts. The lower set of holes are for Powerglide and 4-speed transmissions, the upper set of holes are for 3-speed transmissions."
I think the above is correct, at least that is the way I thought it was.

Bob, I believe if you find the bolt hole information in the front of the assembly manual, it would be for the three speed manual as that was the base transmission. The power glide and 4 speed info would be in the back under "options". Again, I have a hard time remembering and my book is at home on the shelf in the garage.

bobs409

Administrator
"Note: There are two sets of holes in the frame for the crossmember bolts. The lower set of holes are for Powerglide and 4-speed transmissions, the upper set of holes are for 3-speed transmissions."
I think the above is correct, at least that is the way I thought it was.

Bob, I believe if you find the bolt hole information in the front of the assembly manual, it would be for the three speed manual as that was the base transmission. The power glide and 4 speed info would be in the back under "options". Again, I have a hard time remembering and my book is at home on the shelf in the garage.

You were spot on Jim! I found it in the M35 section. Lower holes for a powerglide! (now I don't have to move mine) :D

Thanks. :)