Which front coil spring to lift my 64 Impala 409 1 to 2 inches?

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
I installed 2" drop spindles. Car looks fine but is tooo low. I want to raise it at least an inch or morewith coil springs. The suppliers won't tell me how much lift I will get from a given coil. Anyone out there used a spring that gave the 1 to 2 inch lift? Thanks Mike

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Asking the coil springs to do the lifting may be a lot to ask of the springs and the space they need to be in. Not so much by work but stock and after market springs are meant for a work load and need to work in the given/confined space. Suppose you could use coil spring spacers, but I can't tell you how the ride quality will be affected.
If you don't find springs which are taller, you may find springs which are so stiff as to make the ride less enjoyable. I suppose you could use stiffer shocks to help raise the ride height, but in my limited opinion, you might be better off going back to stock spindles.
However, others will chime in with more/better experience.

bobs409

Administrator
I doubt it can be done. After putting new coils in my 283 car, the upper A arms were pressing down on the rubber snubbers as is so at it's highest travel. Can't imagine how you could go any more at least not with original A arms. :dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Shocks are not designed.or intended[air shocks not included] to affect the ride height,but rather to control it over irregular surfaces.so that's out.What spring is in the car now? Were they meant for the heaverier big block engine,or for a small block engine?There's about a 125 lb weight difference between the two is why the factory made so many of the things for a particular year/body type.

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Don. I ordered and installed "Heavy Duty" springs from Show Cars Inc. I got maybe 1/4" lift. I have been running the car that way for awhile but it's too low. I talked to Show Car today and they have a "Super Heavy Duty" that they claim will give me another inch, maybe two. Not in stock right now. I "chatted" with a Moog dealer today. We talked about #6084 and #658A. He would not say what they would do over stock springs. My issue has worsened since I changed wheels and size at the recommendation of factory rep for the wheels. He got it wrong. Now stuck with nice wheels and tires that will rub on a bump. I need an inch. I bought rubber spacers that go under the coil and between the pocket. But I can't understand how the spring can stay seated on it! Coil overs might work but they cost as much as going back to CPP for stock spindle kit. I've done everything twice on this car.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You said: " Anyone out there used a spring that gave the 1 to 2 inch lift?"
Seems to me replacing spindles with stock will give you exactly 2" raise which satisfies your above statement.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Do be careful!! Use the proper spring compressor(I'm sure you are).

I had a friend that changed the front springs on his 55 Chevy in his parents garage.

It got loose, danced all around the garage before exiting the aluminum garage overhead door:):)

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used moog 6004's (on Phil's recommendation) on a stock front end, lifted it an inch at least from the old worn out springs. Check the dimensions of that spring against what you have now?
Don

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Using the coil spring to raise the vehicle and inch will put the control arms in the wrong "ride height" location and might even cause a handling issue. Not to mention that it will change the available suspension travel on rebound. like Bob mentioned above, the vehicle might be raised enough to compress the upper control arm bumper which would give a very harsh ride. The only correct way to raise the suspension would be to get rid of the drop spindles. Just my opinion.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is going back to the original spindles for a test fit/drive an option to see if that gives you the look you want?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ok, saving the best for last .

Shim the body up at each body mounting point beginning at the core support. Be careful not to go too far and pull the steering shaft out of the coupling.

Works every time.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
As others have said, it doesn't make any difference what kind of spring you put in the car as long as the short spindles are in it the upper control arm is going to bottom out on the snubber that is on the frame

mmanship

Supporting Member 1
Thanks. But, I did order coil springs yesterday. MOOG #6004. Let's give'em a try!