Which Part is Worth the Least?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A couple of years ago, I sold the cast iron power glide from my 59 and the non posi stock axle for $50 to one of the employees who works at the body shop that did the panel replacement on the El Camino.
I caught up with body guy I sold them to and asked it was going. I got around to asking about the parts and he said he managed to sell the axle but is stuck with the transmission.
He thought it would be the other way around, thinking the transmission would be easy to unload.
Which got me thinking, which is worth more? The axle or the transmission?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nearly impossible to get all of the rebuild parts for the cast glides. We had to rebuild one at work and were lucky to get the parts we did find.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I run around with some Jetboat/V-drive guys. What does this part look like and where is it used in a V drive?
Its a ring that bolts to the back of the block and converts the typical rear bell housing mount into somewhat of a circle pattern (same as the front of a cast iron glide) while providing a little depth to run a stick shift flywheel. The aftermarket flat aluminum rear engine mount for a V drive bolts to the cast iron ring and has a somewhat large hole (6" or so) in the center where the drive shaft bolts to. Cast iron glides used this to accommodate a flywheel. If you took a regular bell housing and sliced off the front 1.5" that mounts to the back of the block the piece you would have is kinda what it looks like. Next week when I pull my Corvette out of the garage I will send you a picture of one as its under my car on the garage floor, Lol.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Its a ring that bolts to the back of the block and converts the typical rear bell housing mount into somewhat of a circle pattern (same as the front of a cast iron glide) while providing a little depth to run a stick shift flywheel. The aftermarket flat aluminum rear engine mount for a V drive bolts to the cast iron ring and has a somewhat large hole (6" or so) in the center where the drive shaft bolts to. Cast iron glides used this to accommodate a flywheel. If you took a regular bell housing and sliced off the front 1.5" that mounts to the back of the block the piece you would have is kinda what it looks like. Next week when I pull my Corvette out of the garage I will send you a picture of one as its under my car on the garage floor, Lol.
I know what you are talking about now. I have 3 of them. LOL! One is stuck on the back of a 348 but the other two are setting loose. Learn something new every day!