Who broke what at Thompson?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Just like everybody else, I had a great time at Thompson but I did manage to fill my #7 cylinder full of water. I'm not sure what the problem is yet but I'll do a post when I find out.

Last year there were hardly any mechanical problems with the cars but this year we had a ton of breakdowns. At one point I heard there may have been as many as ten cars on the sidelines due to breakdowns.:scratch
Some of the problems will be easily fixed but some were fairly major. I heard that the snout broke off of the crankshaft on one car, that's probably the worst thing that happened.:scratch

de31168

Well Known Member
The starter worked itself loose twice, finally discovered a bent starter bolt.. after it broke! Thanks to Denny for having a replacement bolt or we were done. The entire shifter assembly vibrated loose, the line lock broke, the passanger door glass cracked due to vibration, and the keys, ash tray, and mirror came out or down with every pass. Otherwise what a great first time out with the car!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I do have a transmission problem. Don't know what yet. Got home about 8:30 PM last evening and I've been putzing on the pc all morning. Have to get the trans out this afternoon.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I think I broke my neck

I twisted my neck so hard looking at all the sights, I think it might be broken.

Attachments

• girlinpits.jpg
    girlinpits.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 173

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My second run I broke the center u-joint. Tom Monroe and I went to Summit and got a new u-joint, replaced it and the third run I broke the driveshaft in half just behind the carrier bearing.

I guess I do need to get a 3" drive shaft after all.:doh:takethat

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pics of the break...

Solid Steel 1310 U-Joint

DSC_0462Custom.jpg

DSC_0463Custom.jpg

I don't think a 1350 joint would have helped here. It broke just between the center bearing and the yoke after I replaced the u-joint with another solid steel 1310 joint.

DSC_0465Custom.jpg

DSC_0466Custom.jpg

DSC_0467CustomCustom.jpg

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:eek: Horsepower finds weakness and torque helps show where the weakness is. Sorry to hear you only got one run in. We broke a differential spool that way 3 years ago.:doh

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lost cam on way home. Thunk it actually happened on last run of old fools race. Dad says he over reved it past 7000. Bent lifter bar. Lifter turned sigoglened and wiped cam on way home. Looking for another Isky 505-c if anyone has one.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
1-3-09001.jpg

Inland Empire 3" 1350's throughout. May be a material quality issue. Are the solid joints US made?

Pics of the break...

Solid Steel 1310 U-Joint

DSC_0462Custom.jpg

DSC_0463Custom.jpg

I don't think a 1350 joint would have helped here. It broke just between the center bearing and the yoke after I replaced the u-joint with another solid steel 1310 joint.

DSC_0465Custom.jpg

DSC_0466Custom.jpg

DSC_0467CustomCustom.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
With a 1350 series driveline the spline part is also bigger. It takes a bigger bearing at the pedestal.
I used a 1350 series driveline that I got from a one ton cube van in a wrecking yard. It came with a horseshoe shaped hanger so I had to alter the one off of the stock driveline to make it fit.
At that time Inland Empire wouldn't sell the pedestal for the larger 1350 driveline. They said it was only available as part of the entire heavy duty driveshaft setup.
Here's a poor quality picture of the junk yard driveshaft beside the stock setup.

67gal_2.jpg

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes Jim we made it home. Put the snap-on camera down the pushrod whole. The lifters on # 5 cylinder are turned opposite. The slides are facing away from each other and the intake is wiped. I think Vals problem was a couple head bolts, the gaskets looked good. Some of the head bolts had rust running up them. Maybe they will post when they know for sure. Scott

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I didn't have a real breakage problems ... the horn cap hit me in the chest on one of my better runs . :eek:

I had my share of problems getting the car sorted out though ! Before i left i put a new set of slicks on & at about 100 mph it got to shaking so bad that i thought my teeth would fall out .... Deb came out on fri. eve & brought the old tires with her , problem resolved !!!

I also had breaking up problems at high rpms . :?:? Tried several things & finally gave in and put a Mallory electronic dist in the car . problem resolved !!! [ thanks to Jim K. for loaning me the dist & Allen for a new set of spark plugs ]

Finally gave up on using points after all this time. :bang:bang:bang

All these problems were after spending Mon thru Wed assemling the motor & having to overcome munerous problems along the way . We went with a fresh motor w/o any runs , only a few minutes of run time , guess it worked out okay .

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just talked to Jay Gould ( red 62 blown impala ). One cyl with full length crack. Gonna go by his home tomorrow and view the damage. I'll try to remember to take my camera.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I also broke a axle shaft after my first run, Now going to 9" rear