who has adjusted the 605 PS pump pressure?????

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have a new 605 and a bottle neck pump. Originally felt like driving on ice all the time....no feel of the road and pretty dancing. Grabbed one of those Borgenson pressure kits and pulled the flow valve out to find no shims at all which I assume is pretty typical for this pump from the factory. So, I put three shims in and it has helped a bit but not as much as I expected.
Wondered if anyone has been here before that could add some comments about their experience. The brochure says 3 shims places it around 1000 psi. I have two more shims that I could add but thought I would seek some input before pulling it apart again.

hotrodpete

On my 63 impala small block 327 ,I used the power steering pump from the same vehicle as the box. (80's) I had read of the problems of other owners. It may not look period correct but it sure works well. No darting or vagueness in the steering

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have a new 605 and a bottle neck pump. Originally felt like driving on ice all the time....no feel of the road and pretty dancing. Grabbed one of those Borgenson pressure kits and pulled the flow valve out to find no shims at all which I assume is pretty typical for this pump from the factory. So, I put three shims in and it has helped a bit but not as much as I expected.
Wondered if anyone has been here before that could add some comments about their experience. The brochure says 3 shims places it around 1000 psi. I have two more shims that I could add but thought I would seek some input before pulling it apart again.

What diameter is your steering wheel?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Walt requested picture's of my radiator clearance and the borgeson box withe the global west bump steer kit. He is thinking of going to this set up is why i posted these picture's. He has driving issue's like i did before i did all the bump steer kit.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
P.S. Getting back to Walt's main topic, since i did all the bump steer kit , i don't need to reduce the pressure on pump . Before i did the GB kit i thought that would be the over sensitive condition. I even removed power steering pump belt and drove it that way and that did not make any difference in the way it drove at all. Seemed like if the car went through a dip and the rear came up it threw the front steering into a steering dart all it's own. It was actually the steering geometry doing the darting when the front suspension traveled up and down. Now the steering feel's tight and no effort to turn and drive's great.