Who has different year, make, model rear installed into their X frame?

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
C'mon guys.
I know guys gave been racing x frame cars since 1958, and the weak knee'd factory rear didn't lend itself to abuse.
What has been tried over the years, what fits, what did you do with the upper single arm, torn crossmember issue?
Just looking to see what others have done in the rear.
Not interested in hearing about back half tubbed race cars, just modified stockers.
Thanks

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yep, Don's correct, Ford 9" under the 60. Narrowed and all the fixtures scavenged from a 60 Chevy donor car rear. Mosier axles and a Detroit locker, 4:56 gear. I have the upper added control arm. All arms are stock units, boxed with poly bushings. I have upper control brackets modified to raise the height for instant center adjustment.

Last edited:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I put a 64/65 Malibu rear in mine. Still a 8.2 but with modern parts and easy/cheap. New posi, new axles, braced saddle/cover, welded tubes, rear tube braces…etc. This has been in couple of years and I have not had any issues with it. I run slicks and a 4,000 converter with 4:56 gears. When I first put it in, I beat it hard to find any weak spots. This is a street car and I don't have huge HP. I did break a couple of drop out 8.2. The way I mounted the uppers makes it triangulated and you can remove the pan hard bar. Rear goes up and down without moving side to side. Another option for this is to use the 8.5 rear from late 70s monte carlo or 70 and later camaro/nova to get the correct width and be really strong if you're going racing. Parts are cheap and the 8.5 is up there with the 12 bolt which can also be installed for more money.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/im-going-to-try-this-out.24155/

Last edited:

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Stock rear , replaced center cross member and added another upper arm for the drivers side got the other arm from my parts car added a couple ears to the rearend and drilled out the cross memeber for the bolts.:winner
I am running a slightly warmed up 327 and a 4L60 no big power just nice street/cruiser car.

Last edited:

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Had a Dana 60 in it for years. Broke a set of Pro Gears, Twisted off a Strange axle, eventually broke the Dana housing. Replaced it with a Strange S60 housing. Moser axles in it now. Added tubular upper arms relocated for better geometry, cross member reinforced with 1" tube to frame and custom brackets. Everything breaks eventually if you try hard enough!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 8.5 GM Corporate rear uses the same size pinion shaft and only 1/4 smaller ring gear than the 12 bolt for lots less money. Probably the most economical alternative to the 12 bolt or 9 inch for a street car. Certainly stronger than the original or later 8.2.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom, I run a Strange housing with the bigger 3 1/4" tubes. Factory width with fabricated laser cut brackets in stock positions. I added the upper left bracket with adjustment holes in left and right to get the arms up higher, still run the pannard, 35 spline axles, 9" 4.11 detroit locker. :cheers

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Here's a couple pics, 1 old one when i got it, and a couple from today shown in the car. The only fitment issue was with the aluminum girdle rear cover. It required a spacer for the panhard bar, and a little clearancing on the cover. A couple years of drag duty and no problems. Probably wouldn't have the clearance issues with the stock rear cover. Let me know if you'd like other pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_8871.jpg
    IMG_8871.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8872.jpg
    IMG_8872.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8873.jpg
    IMG_8873.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 132

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I bought a bolt-in 12 bolt from DTS with second upper arm mount, girdle rear cover, with boxed stock arms, Moser 33 spline axles and a Detroit Trutrac. Global West upper mount braces. Best of 11.74 with a little air under the front tire. Not the cheapest setup, but no complaints.
How much was the rear housing? I don't see it on their web page??

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I went down the 9 Inch path for my 63 Belair, yet to have it on the road so can't offer more.