Who knows this one?

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
Dick: that picture looks like old rt 30 out of York... Any thoughts?

That picture is from Indy in '63. Probably some place on Rt.40. See the motel sign in the background...The Strickler/Jenkins/Stiles team would take over a gas station for the week while they were in Indy for the Nats. I think you will find the front fenders are aluminum in that shot. Rumor is they had two front ends for the car, both lettered. One steel, the other aluminum. The aluminum possibly came off of O.R. III as it was sold on the used car lot at Aamon R. Smith not long after Indy in '62. We always thought O.R.III was only raced at Indy in '62 but I've found a photo of it racing in VA. Either way, they didn't race O.R.III very long. O.R.II on the other hand was raced well into the '63 season.

I've been told also that Dave Strickler looked at Mr. Brinkley's car before he passed away. Dave verified that it was his old car. I've also heard Mr.Brinkley has been offered some offers that are hard to resist for O.R.II and will not sell it. I think that is great in this day of investors buying and selling cars just for profit. Sounds to me he appreciates owning it for what it is, a piece of history not just an investment.

Now if I could just find O.R.I or O.R. III.....

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
The damage to the front fender of O. R. II was caused by a front tire coming off as the car was being towed. This was reported by Dave Strickler's son who is a member of 348-409.com. I can remember reading it here before I became a member. The car had a steel front clip because it ran A/S at Indy in 1963 (note the lettering).

Rick

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Old Reliable III

Jody,
According to what I was told ten+ years ago, you will not find III. A colleague of mine, from York, knew the guy who bought the car used from the lot in '62. It got wrapped around a tree shortly afterwards. Apparently Jenkins didn't "de-tune" the engine after He and Strickler were done with it. My colleague said the car was the fastest street car in York, until it met the tree. The remains have been removed from the junk-yard long ago for crushing.:cry
Steven