Why buy it when you can build it!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So the other day I bought me a new tow vehicle, it's a 2016 Ram 1500 standard cab long bed. (HEMI) It's a Tradesman and my wife cannot get in and out of it very well. You know what they say go high cuz fat chicks can't jump.:doh:facepalm
Well that doesn't really apply for me because I've only been married to my wife for 33 years, and nobody else would have me anyway! Besides she lets me have all the hot rods I want and build the cars I want as long as I built her one once in awhile too... The 54 Chevy pickup has already been claimed by her.:dunno2She loves the thing and goes with me all over the country looking for parts. She also likes the ram but she can't get in and out of a very easy so I was looking for some running boards or steps. Man them things are stupid High and really not worth a crap, so I decided to pick up some rectangular tubing. Plate steel, and wire mesh. And this is what I built and bolted to the frame of the truck not the rocker panels.
$37 for the materials and about 6 hours labor total and she came out tonight and step right up into the truck and loves them. And then she told me she knew I was a keeper! This might be a good time to order some more 409 parts:brow:laughing
Everyday is a good day to practice on your fabricating and your welding!!!!

I can even use a jack under these and lift the truck,
so what are you building instead of buying?20190726_203703.jpg20190726_194715.jpg20190726_194355.jpg20190726_194502.jpg20190726_200121.jpg20190726_200221.jpg20190726_195213.jpg20190726_194913.jpg

Junky

Well Known Member
http://a.msn.com/08/en-us/AAHa6MO?ocid=se2 SawThis and thought it was interesting. They are still out there! I would love to have this thing but it is probably gone now.:dunno

You will never know until you make that telephone call. I know someone that was browsing through an old Hemmings and saw a car that interested him. The magazine was about 8 or 10 years old. He called the number, and they still had the car. After some telephone negotiations, he finally made the deal on the car over the phone, and when he went to pick it up, it was better than it was represented as being. As you said, "They are still out there!" Now, go make that call!!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I used some rectangular tubing some mesh and got it right out of my scrap barrel. Only took me a couple hours to lay out and weld up. My wife really likes them and they don’t stick out far enough to bang your legs on. Good luck!!!

Last edited: