Wilson Header Mfg.

Simon

Well Known Member
Hi Mark and fellow members. How has the development of the 348 headers gone and their fitment for the 59 Belair?
In Australia we have a 10mm (approx. 1/2 inch) clearance requirement between the exhaust and any other part of the vehicle.
Does the Wilson Header accomplish this?

Mark Wilson

Well Known Member
Hi Mark and fellow members. How has the development of the 348 headers gone and their fitment for the 59 Belair?
In Australia we have a 10mm (approx. 1/2 inch) clearance requirement between the exhaust and any other part of the vehicle.
Short answer = No. Each car is different, but on most the #3 primary tube is less than .050" from the frame, clearance on the clutch linkage is less than .500", clearance on the factory starter is approx .375". You can look at the photos in earlier posts to get a more accurate idea of the clearances.

Mark

Does that 1/2" include the frame? That appears to be the only place on my 61 conv that it is less than that 1/2".

Simon

Well Known Member
Hi Simon, yes includes frame, fuel/brake lines, steering etc. 10mm equates to 0.394" but as Mark pointed out it seems that there are several places that would be a bit close. I would prefer not to dent the headers to meet the clearance so I am going to go back to the drawing board on this one.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How cool is this.... this was the last completed set sold....I could have purchased a second set that was not finished. I sent the set to texas, then to jet hot coatings. They are still brand new hanging on the wall today. The invoice was a light pink colour.

kevin Quik9r

Attachments

• IMG_20180325_122011.jpg
    IMG_20180325_122011.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 88

Mark Wilson

Well Known Member
How cool is this.... this was the last completed set sold....I could have purchased a second set that was not finished. I sent the set to texas, then to jet hot coatings. They are still brand new hanging on the wall today. The invoice was a light pink colour.

kevin Quik9r
Kent, that seems light years ago. What happened that you never used them?

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, first off they fit perfect. My car is a pure stock 409. My brothers car was supposed to have a 409 stroker motor but was replaced with a 502 BBC that had a beautiful custom set of headers built. So they have just been hanging around. I remember calling on chance, based on the Super Chevy article that used the headers. I was a Canadian living and working with my brother in Texas, when we placed the order.

Quik9r

Simon

Well Known Member
Hi Mark, is there much difference in fit and clearance between a Belair 4dr and Convertible? Regarding the clearances you mentioned before my car is an auto and have read post of owners using a smaller starter. Otherwise its the fwd bolt on the L/H upper control arm that is an issue. Apart from these issues stated could you see me being able to obtain the 0.400 inch I'm after?

Mark Wilson

Well Known Member
Hi Mark, is there much difference in fit and clearance between a Belair 4dr and Convertible? Regarding the clearances you mentioned before my car is an auto and have read post of owners using a smaller starter. Otherwise its the fwd bolt on the L/H upper control arm that is an issue. Apart from these issues stated could you see me being able to obtain the 0.400 inch I'm after?

I am just a Header guy and certainly no expert on these X-Frame cars. The convertible frames have additional reinforcement welded on the bottom of the x frame that is approximately 5/8" thick and runs from the rear wheels forward ending just as the frame begins to curve up in the wheel well area.

This was a problem in the past as Jerry Belanger designed these headers in the late 50's and were never intended for a convertible framed car.
This was one of the major changes that I made when I decided to re-introduce them. I have sold 2 sets to convertible owners and only one has installed them so far. I just spoke with him today and he said they fit well and cleared the frame. I am hoping to get pictures from him in a few days showing the frame clearances and will post them as soon as I can.

As far as the starter goes headers where made to clear the factory starter and have somewhere around 1/4-3/8" clearance there. If you choose to go to an aftermarket gear reduction starter all the better.

Review some of the photos posted as there are several area's that will have much less than 10mm clearance, including port 8 were it turns out of the flange and passes by the frame.

I do not have a car here to confirm much more than has already been said. Some of the other members with a car on hand would likely be more helpful.

Simon

Well Known Member
Thanks Mark, Ill wait for the photos from the convertible fit-out..
Is this set the 2"primaries 3" collectors?
Could you send a photo of them please.

Mark Wilson

Well Known Member
Thanks Mark, Ill wait for the photos from the convertible fit-out..
Is this set the 2"primaries 3" collectors?
Could you send a photo of them please.

2" primaries 3.5" collectors 3.00" side outlet. All the pictures on this thread are of these headers