Wilson Header Mfg.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Is that a Richmond 5 speed and a Long 5 speed shifter?
If so does it fit the floor pan ( above the floor surface) so you can use the stock round boot and/or the
factory 1962 SS shift plate and the factory SS shift boot.

Paul

rholso

Supporting Member 1
Richmond 6 with long shifter. Shifter sits like 2.x inches farther back than the 4 speed and the crossmember moves 4.x inches back.

Was a automatic car and I just bought the 4 speed floor sheetmetal piece and trimmed it a bit to fit. I'm not 100%, but the (outer edge) shift plate may be pretty close to the seats.

Attachments

• 20180418_122824.jpg
    20180418_122824.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 20180416_214945.jpg
    20180416_214945.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 132

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I see some welding on the drivers side of the original tunnel. You didn’t have any original tunnel modifications other than cutting the hole for the shifter on the 6 speed?

I have a 5 speed Richmond with a Hurst shifter that sits about 2/3 inches lower than the Long shifter.
I have seen one other Richmond 6 speed in a 61 Chevy and he had the shifter and 4 speed tunnel cover very similar to yours for the location of the shifter and tunnel cover. The hole for the shifter in this 61 just cleared the long cross brace on the bottom of the floor pan. How close is your Long 6 speed shifter to that full width bottom of the floor pan brace?

One of the biggest reason I like Richmond 5 speeds and 6 speeds is they do not require modifications to remove and replace the entire original floor pan tunnel + they are very good transmissions - shift like Muncies or even better than Muncies shift.

Paul

rholso

Supporting Member 1
About the only modification other than the hole was a little massaging by one of the heim joints on the linkage. Just pushed in one small spot about 1/2 inch or less. Welding was for some floor pan repair.

I had to notch the full width brace. Cut out 1" inch deep by about 3" wide strip, then boxed that a little. Piece notched was on the front side curve towards the top and drivers side middle of that full width brace. The sifter was making contact with the brace and without cutting it you could never shift into any of the forward positions on the shifter.

I don't have any pics in my phone with the brace mod. But here is another of the trans mount with the body off.

I like Richmond also.

Rob

Attachments

• 20180419_104519.jpg
    20180419_104519.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 108

rich hunter

I posted the Anchor mount number a long time ago, there was a thread on the topic. I think they are still available.

Anchor 2285 is 409 (taller) mount
Anchor 2142 is the SBC (lower) mount

Many times, the engine will fit in the car using the SBC mount, but there is a potential for front crossmember interference for high-perf exhaust manifolds and some oil pans such as Stef's.

Helo68

Dang it. Who makes the next best full length header? Car will be a little lower than stock. Will run a hydraulic clutch so hopefully that makes some room.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Anyone using newer ACP's? Not original Stahl's. Curious about fitment. I think they may offer 1-7/8 to 2" stepped tubes.
Jeff
I went to ACP’s website, great info but no listing of what they offer for 409s. Is there info anywhere on the web?

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I spoke with them at the PRI show in December. They supposedly had W headers and I think they even said they could do fenderwells. I was eye balling the 1-7/8-2" step headers they had listed for other apps. Was hoping they showed them for the W, but did not see any listings. I will drop them a line.
Jeff

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Had a pair of these 2” made up by ACP last year thinking i might make a set of headers for the new frnt end on the car but made my old set work instead! Welding quality is like the old Stahls, Silicone bronze welded! When i ordered these I complained that they didn’t list the 409 stuff in there on line catalog snd he acted surprised that they weren’t listed! Said he would fix that but i see he didn’t! He was nice to talk to!IMG_1119.jpeg