window channel

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Any body {Phil} have a suggestion on good window division bar channel. I have some and they are like tar , glass will not slide . I took them back out ,they are junk!!!!! These are the front channel on the front door glass that attaches to the vent window frame runner.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You can buy replacement channel with the chrome bead to replace the channel. You have to drill out the rivits that hold the channel and replace the rivits
with flat head philips screws with nuts and lock washers. The phlips screws will be buried in the fuzzy channel and the door glass will not hit them if they have flat heads. There are 4 rivits and the screw on the top of the channel that screws to the vent window frame. I think I have some pictures of these items somewhere.

Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, I have already replaced the channel and i understand how it goes in . My channel has the chrome beading on the division bar , i just need the insert felt,and mine had tiny screw's to mount the channel . What i am asking where can i get channel that is not like tar ,as in pictures. It is very sticky and black get's on your hand's.photo (6).JPG photo (8).JPG photo (9).JPG

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I originally ordered these from eckler's or classic industries, and don't want to order these again and have the same problem.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have 2 62 Chevy sets now with the chrome bead and the felt channel all as one piece.

I have a 63 that I am finishing right now, and I just got through switching the vent windows and existing channels.
I note the the chrome and the felt appear to be one piece which is not the case for 62.
For 62' the replacement channel chrome bead and U shaped felt are all one piece about 2 ft long.

I note on the 63 that the upper part of the felt has square holes cut in it to mount the felt to the vent metal frame in addition to the rivits.
for 63 and 64 this appears to be the right channel. It looks like it does not have a chrome bead and appears to be a rigid straight piece( I think you need a rigid piece
to fit in the channel correctly since the channel on 63 is the same as 62's)
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-...frame-vertical-window-channels-1963-1964.html
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Are your channel's a soft whisker type insert ???? Mine as i said is like tar ??????

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have gotten all of my 62 channels from Ecklers and insist that they tell me that it is correct, so far OK. My channels are actually listed as for 55-57 Chevy.
I would ask for close up pictures or the company who makes them.
I did that for vent window weatherstrip and ended up switching to Steele since a Fargo brand did not fit.
Perhaps someone here knows the right ones and who makes them, that is key who makes the right ones for 63.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes the channels are fuzzy not tar. Both original 63 vent windows sets I have are original and have felt/fuzzy channels. The channels on the 63's that I took off are not bad.
I changed them because the Vent chrome frames on the glass were rusted.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
On your part's you show from eckler's ,they say to remove rubber coating before install, i remember doing that and hopefully i am not getting the same problem back????? :dunno:dunno Hesitant to order???????

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I think this is the channel you want. Check the pictures and the details. It does not have a chrome bead.
You can call and discuss the part. They list that it for upper and lower division bar.
http://www.steelerubber.com/rigid-run-channel-70-0752-58
Price seems fair also. This is the company that I used for vent window weatherstrip because it fits and is like the originals.
Paul