Window Frames

Rondecurtins

Well Known Member
I have spent what seems like a small fortune on my almost left for dead 62 impala convertible. It is coming along nicely but I got a quote yesterday that truly shocked me. The frames on my Vent window frames have some pitting on them. I was referred by a restorer here in town to a chrome shop by the name of Ogden Chrome in Ogden Utah. I sent pictures and my info to them for a quote. The quote I got back was $555 each with a four month turn around. I expected a high price but not that high. Anyway I am writing this post asking if any of you have had frames restored or know of someplace to buy new or good used ones. Thanks

Attachments

• 41448B68-5F36-49F2-B308-4DB0B199941D.jpeg
    41448B68-5F36-49F2-B308-4DB0B199941D.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 177679BD-CEFC-450F-977E-9F38E25BA8BE.jpeg
    177679BD-CEFC-450F-977E-9F38E25BA8BE.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 39

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You have 61 and 62 Convertible only vent windows -the frames are not the same as 61 and 62 Hardtops. The tops of all 61-64 convertible vent windows outside frames bend down slightly to to fit the top racks.
The vent window frames are pot metal chrome -not steel so they are more expensive to rechrome, and you need a shop that can do pot metal, not just steel rechroming like bumpers and some of the window frames are steel. Lower rear 1/4 glass frames are also pot metal chrome. Upper door and Upper rear 1/4 window frames are steel. The frames around vent glass itself are steel.

I have mine done by Performance Plating in Olathe, Kansas - phone 913-764-5135 (Phil Reed from this forum... originally recommended them years ago)
They do not have a web site at this time.
The last set I had done about 1 to 2 years ago was under $ 400 for both of them + shipping both ways. The amount of pitting will make a difference in cost -yours look pretty good. They do steel rechroming also I think.

Call them(I forget the name of guy who I talk to all the time) -they are very good and prices I think are fair.
My last vent set took about 4-6 weeks
Paul Stensland

Rondecurtins

Well Known Member
Thanks Paul for the information. I know about the difference between a hardtop and convertible. I once talked to a guy with a bubbletop and He did not know about the difference between a bubbletop and hardtop vent window frame.He bought used hardtop frames and then had them restored. And of course they did not fit. I don’t know any more but He was probably able to sell them and hopefully come out even. It can be confusing. Thanks, that’s what makes this forum so useful.

I will call Performance Plating tomorrow And let you know how it turns out.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I restored original 61/62 2 door impala hardtop vent windows ( new rubbers,stops chrome beaded tracks), last year.
They were restored for a guy in Missouri for his 62 Belair bubble top. I know he installed them in his bubble top.

There is not a difference in 61 & 62 Belair bubble top 2 door hardtop vent window assemblies and 62 impala 2 door hardtop vent windows. I checked my friends 62 Belair bubble top ( that he has had for 20 years) before I did the restoration of the 62 impala 2 door hardtop vents for the 62 bubble top vent windows in Missouri ( he would have called me if they did not fit).

There are 3 different vent window assemblies in 61 & 62
The other different vent window assemblies are 2 door sedans - 1962 Biscayne, Belair 2 door sedans. 61 2 door sedans are the same as 62 2 door sedans. These assemblies do not have pot metal chrome frames, they only have the chrome vent frames and those chrome frames ...around the glass...are only for 2 door sedans.

All the 61 & 62 Impala Hardtop & convertible ,61 & 62 Belair Hardtop chrome vent frames around the glass itself are the same
Paul

Rondecurtins

Well Known Member
Sorry for sending incorrect information about the hardtop and convertible vent frames. If was from a few years ago and I may have got the facts wrong or were told the wrong facts. It does show that one has to be careful on different models of cars.
I tried calling Performance Plating in Kansas but the phone number has been changed and then the new number I was given does not work either.
I will keep looking for a suitable chrome shop to have mine restored.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
There are 3 different vent window assemblies in 61 & 62
The other different vent window assemblies are 2 door sedans - 1962 Biscayne, Belair 2 door sedans. 61 2 door sedans are the same as 62 2 door sedans. These assemblies do not have pot metal chrome frames, they only have the chrome vent frames and those chrome frames ...around the glass...are only for 2 door sedans.

All the 61 & 62 Impala Hardtop & convertible ,61 & 62 Belair Hardtop chrome vent frames around the glass itself are the same

For the sake of completeness don't forget the wagons, 4-door sedans (post), and 4-door sport sedans (hardtops).

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry for sending incorrect information about the hardtop and convertible vent frames. If was from a few years ago and I may have got the facts wrong or were told the wrong facts. It does show that one has to be careful on different models of cars.
I tried calling Performance Plating in Kansas but the phone number has been changed and then the new number I was given does not work either.
I will keep looking for a suitable chrome shop to have mine restored.

On the Internet it says that performance plating is permanently closed

denson1932

Well Known Member
Just to repeat what Paul correctly reported here, vent window assemblies for 1961 Impala and Belair BUBBLETOP, and 1962 Impala and Impala SS 2DRHT, and 1962 Belair BUBBLETOP, and 1961-1962 Impala 4DRHT... are all identical. AND that also applies to the B-O-P cousins. Unfortunately there are several wrong statements in the previous posts.

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I need a good pair of 62 impala convertible vent window frames if anybody has a pair to sell. Or a drivers side single. My passenger side is pretty good I could use it but It does have a pit or two. Thanks.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Are you talking about the frames around the actual glass ? Those frames are the same on Hardtops and convertibles (and the other models noted above by Denson1932).
Originals are what to use for these frames -I would not buy reproduction -because of the tight fit with the upper mounting pin.
I get originals rechromed or find very nice originals that don't need rechroming

I might have some decent/nice original vent window frames that hold the glass...

If you are talking about the outside frames that do not hold the glass -see this note:
what is different on 61-62 convertibles(and 63-64 convertibles) is the outside frames that are pot metal chrome. These frames are bent at the top on all 61-62 convertibles and these convertible only outside vent window frames are NOT reproduced -you have to rechrome the originals and you need a chrome shop that can rechrome pot metal (many rechroming shops only do steel rechoming -like bumpers)

Paul

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are the 1961 & 1962 Hardtop(bubble tops in 61/62 also)
and 1961 and 1962 Convertible outside pot metal chrome frames. The vent glass chrome frames
that hold the glass are the same in both sets of vent windows

1. THE FIRST PICTURE ---The bottom frame in picture "with both vent frames laying on the table" is the 61/62 convertible frame note the bend in the top of the outside frame as comparted to the upper 2 door Hardtop/2 door bubble top frame (the frame in the top of the picture -is the Hardtop frame
  2. THE SECOND PICTURE ---The vent window frame "laying on top of the other frame" is the 61/62 Convertible frame (note the bend in the top of the frame)
  3. Note that it is not easy to see this difference but they are different........
Paul

IMG_0159.JPGIMG_0158.JPG

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
Yes the outside frames. Did you find a good place to have them re-chromed for a reasonable price? I would prefer original frames near perfect to a re-chrome job.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The place I used in Kansas closed about 2 years ago. The last price I remember was $350 for a pair to rechrome the potmetal(that was over 5 years ago).
I see the original poster on this item "Rondercurtins" was going to have to pay over $ 1000 for a pair to be rechromed (not sure what he did).
I have not tried to find another pot metal rechroming shop.

The other issue is even finding used 61-62 Convertible only outer pot metal frames and then the prices are expensive
See this example $500 for a used pair................
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334094235100

I have sold off my extra convertible items (and found the market is crazy for the original convertible parts) and the basket case convertibles and guys who are restoring them, are driving the parts for convertible market (these formally overlooked rough convertibles need parts normally).
You might find the frames but you have to really watch lots of sites
to catch a fair cost for the frames. Plus finding one side is even harder.

I do in fact have a pair of 61-62 convertible vent window assemblies but they are already sold(I think). (they need to be rechromed and do have pitting in them).

I suggest you have yours rechromed even with the pitting. A good rechrome shop will know if they cannot get rid of pitting for a show quality job.
I would say that a few pits in the originals can be fixed and you will not see the pits when they are rechromed.

Paul

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I know its a long shot but if these convertible vent window frames are so valuable and hard to find why dose"t someone try to cast some new ones and then have them plated? If someone made a mold or a buck to make a mold from they could possibly make and sell enough sets to make it worth while, pot metal is just a mixture of a few low melting metals combined together. The reason car manufactures used pot metal is because it was cheap and easy to work with, the hard part would be making the bucks to make molds from.:dunno2

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
How about modifying a hardtop frame by grinding a slight curve at the top. Just enough for the conv top to close properly. It may not look 100% correct but I think only the very savvy car guys would notice.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The 62-64 impala hardtop frames are longer across the bottom of the frame by at least 5 inches.
The frames for a 61-64 convertible run inside a u shaped curved lower track so they roll up and down correctly.
Hardtop frames have a slotted flat track with rollers that they use( convertibles frames do not have rollers), that is mounted way different and operates different than 61-64 convertibles

my point is that design and operation of the lower and upper frames is completely different - I do not see a way to change hardtop frames to work in a convertible without extensive work - plus you cannot weld pot metal. The upper curved frames on hardtops and convertibles are the only steel items on the frames.
Paul

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
Are we still talking about the vent window frames? According to the pictures you have provided the only difference is the very top where the conv frame is curved slightly and the hardtop frame is straight. Grinding down the hardtop frame so it not so sharp a point, should allow the conv top to close correctly not accounting for a slight seal problem and an appearance difference which I never drive my conv. in the rain anyway.