Window regulator repair.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I spent the better part of the day in the garage repairing a faulty window regulator. Last fall when I went to roll my front driver side window up in my 60 Impala Sport Coupe, about half way up someting happen inside the winding mechanism. The crank got hard to turn and would skip like the gear was stripped. I pulled the regulator out of the door and determined that the problem was in the crank. I have a 4 door Impala donor car so I removed the regulator from this car. The 4 door regulator is not the same as the Sport Coupe regulator but it shares the same crank mechanism. The crank is held in with three pop rivets. I drilled the rivets out and removed the crank mechanism from both regulators. I then placed the donor crank mechanism into the sport coupe regulator and used steel pop rivets to secure the donor crank mechanism to the regulator. I then cleaned the regulator lubed it and placed it back in the door of the coupe. The regulator works like new. :D I hope this will help someone with the same problem.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ray:
I hope I can remember that when I bust a regulator on my 61 because I am sure I will have the same regulator.
Robert

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray:
I hope I can remember that when I bust a regulator on my 61 because I am sure I will have the same regulator.
Robert

Robet, 60 is different. 61' and 62' are the same. I just went through the same thing. I manged to find a set of 62 sport coupe doors in a local paper for cheap. Then was able to repair mine without use anything out of the 62' doors...:clap :clap :D