Windows 10 Computers

Junky

Well Known Member
I finally broke down, and got a Windows 10 computer, and I have been struggling trying to learn how everything works. I fought with it tonight for about 3 hours just trying to get my printer set up. What ever happened with Plug and Play? I will give credit to HP since I was finally able to download the drivers, and their utility fixed it so it works. My mouse moves so fast that I have to keep trying to go backwards so I don't miss some posts. I found the settings, and I have it slowed down as slow as the settings will allow, but it is still too fast. Is anyone else having problems adjusting to this new operating system? I had no problem with XP, and when I moved up to 7, it was a pleasure to use. 10 is like having to learn how to drive all over again.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:yup Android with a wireless printer, link them up and smooth. I got a new Apple iPad and I’m learning to navigate it and it is Not the same as Samsung, but working out really well. Don’t think I’ll ever on a PC again. Besides zoom and FaceTime with the grandkids is awesome. Lots more to learn.:wacko:juggle

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I heard a lot of negative comments about 10. :dohWhen I finally was forced, to get a new computer, because my Hard Drive, on Windows 7 crashed, I wasn't happy.:bang So far, it hasn't been bad. The Hardest part, is trying to find, all the old Windows programs, that have had, their names changed, or are now associated with something else.:rolleyes

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I went to the dark side about 6 years ago, I bought my wife and I Mac Book Pro laptops and will never buy another IBM system. My laptops work as good today as the day I bought them and I never had to install any anti virus software on them, Im over Windows!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well being one of the few younger members on here. I laugh at anyone who says MAC is better than PC. I don't need to go into the historic details about why MAC's cover less than 10% of the computer world but they are over priced luxury cars. Feels great until you realize everything else in the world runs on a PC platform.
Everyone remembers the Ford Probe, it was to replace MUSTANG. How did they work out? Windows 7 was a Ford Probe. Once everyone realized it wasn't that great then the ergonomics nerds stepped in and said they had a better way to do things which gave us Windows 8 but everyone hated it and few people had left XP yet so 8 was a cluster. 10 came a long and tried to take the best of what had worked in the past and what we needed to move forward for the future hardware/software security wise. Just so you don't think I'm some young whipper snapper that doesn't know the old good stuff, I also know how to run MS-DOS and just picked up a 3.5" floppy drive for my PC based super computer. Still have some old files that need sucked out of an old windows 95 computer and possibly out of a Windows 98 computer too. LOL! Keep in mind that 5 years back a Mac computer took 10 seconds to hack and now it takes about two minutes. Better but not the best. Not running anti-virus software means you have very likely already been hacked and probably the source of thousands of BOT ads running in the back ground. Best part about MAC products is when you send and receive information over the internet, the computers/servers your computer talks with has to determine whether you are a MAC or PC to talk to each other and smart companies like AMAZON, Target, Ebay, Walmart.... tell their computer to give MAC users higher prices simply because MAC users are known for spending more money for the same products as the rest of us PC users. At best a MAC is a computer with parts specifically picked to work together for a specific cause which the users of MAC's rarely use their finely tuned machine for its intended purpose beyond what a PC costing 1/3 of the price with parts thrown together will also do. I work with a guy who has a Super MAC that he bought for $5K and my Super PC computer cost $2K. With $120 in Ram I would have a more powerful computer than his but I'm not running a Big Block at 14:1 on race fuel to get a hamburger. Mine is more of a dusty dirty Dually that actually needs to pull a horse trailer on a 5th wheel because of the 360VR videos I edit need the grunt. Setting next to my PC computer is my wifes Mac that is used simply to work with other programs that are MAC specific.
GO ON YOUTUBE and watch some Windows 10 for beginners. It will help you work your way through and you will find that everything you like about the past versions is still there but just on a different shelf then you normally would keep it. There are work arounds that talk about that for beginners in some of the videos if you want it to look more like a specific past version. GOOD LUCK! :D

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am no genius with PC's, however I started building them for myself back in the late 80's. I am just a tinkerer. I too use DOS, or I should say I use to. When I started there was no internet and we still talked all around the world. There was no Windows, so you used DOS. I use to pay $76 for 1 MEG of RAM. That's not Gig. Anyway, means nothing overall as I am no computer expert even though I work in a branch of IT and we do some computer stuff. I have had Windows 10 Pro on my home computer for at least 2-3 years, have windows 10 home on my garage computer, have what must be the worst version of Windows 10 on my laptop at work, and a desktop I use as a server. My home compute works pretty good with almost no issues. So does the garage, but not as well. I can navigate just fine overall. My work laptop is FREAKIN GARBAGE! The one I use as a server is ok. For me, Windows 10 overall takes a back seat to Windows 7 clearly for general intuitive ease of use. However, here we are. We are not going back, only forward just like all the countless Windows operating system that we through from the beginning. Hopefully someone at Microsoft will get a clue and make the next version a lot better.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
All of our computers, laptops and an all in one desk top, that came with windows 10, work fine. My older all in one desk top computer that originally came with windows 8, was upgraded to windows 10. It is one of the slowest computers I've ever used. I guess it just does have the capacity to run windows 10. I've added extra ram and I will upgrade to a solid state harddrive, and see what happens. I think this may be a "shop" computer. :dunno2

bobs409

Administrator
My older all in one desk top computer that originally came with windows 8, was upgraded to windows 10. It is one of the slowest computers I've ever used. I guess it just does have the capacity to run windows 10. I've added extra ram and I will upgrade to a solid state harddrive, and see what happens. I think this may be a "shop" computer. :dunno2

Save it for when you buy that big 4 x 8 CNC plasma cutting table. :teehee

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am no genius with PC's, however I started building them for myself back in the late 80's. I am just a tinkerer. I too use DOS, or I should say I use to. When I started there was no internet and we still talked all around the world. There was no Windows, so you used DOS. I use to pay $76 for 1 MEG of RAM. That's not Gig. Anyway, means nothing overall as I am no computer expert even though I work in a branch of IT and we do some computer stuff. I have had Windows 10 Pro on my home computer for at least 2-3 years, have windows 10 home on my garage computer, have what must be the worst version of Windows 10 on my laptop at work, and a desktop I use as a server. My home compute works pretty good with almost no issues. So does the garage, but not as well. I can navigate just fine overall. My work laptop is FREAKIN GARBAGE! The one I use as a server is ok. For me, Windows 10 overall takes a back seat to Windows 7 clearly for general intuitive ease of use. However, here we are. We are not going back, only forward just like all the countless Windows operating system that we through from the beginning. Hopefully someone at Microsoft will get a clue and make the next version a lot better.
I was a huge fan of XP because it seemed like a natural continuation from 2000 and 98 but 7 was ok, the one that messed us all up was 8. 10 is way better than 8 for usability but I think we all didn't mind 7 as much as we hated 8. 10 is like a new cars with a bunch of bells and whistles that the vast majority of us will never use.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe its because I never had 8 that I see such a radical change to 10. I believe that operating systems should be like graphs, they should be intuitive right out of the box, or on the page. You are right about 10 having things the majority will never use.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe its because I never had 8 that I see such a radical change to 10. I believe that operating systems should be like graphs, they should be intuitive right out of the box, or on the page. You are right about 10 having things the majority will never use.
8 was amazing for the people that only used tablets. MS thought that they would get the leap on MAC and design their new system around touch screens. Dead wrong, the mouse will never go away for another 30 years so we can perfect the computer implants. Then things will get interesting.