Windshield removal

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
IMG_0491.JPG After researching windshield datecodes and plant codes for Libby Owens Ford I am confident I have an original windshield.This amazes me due to the fact I have already put 2 into my 3 year old silverado.I was wondering what the best way to remove is without breaking it(not an option).It has some scratches and a couple pinhead sized rock marks on it.There is a glass restorer in Sarasota that says he can take care of these issues.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I watched as a glass guy...who was an old timer...took an exacto locking blade razor knife and cut all the old runner away AT AN ANGLE FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE RUBBER, DOWN AND IN TOWARD THE INSIDE LIP OF THE GLASS. As he cut he lifted the trimmed rubber so he could see where he was cutting. Went through several blades to make sure the blade wasnt dull at any point. Made it took easy. Then he sprayed Dawn soap mixed with water around the glass/rubber lip. Had a cigerette then gently pushed around the edges from inside the car. Stepped outside to spray more soapy mix then climbed back in and pushed. The window seperated pretty nice and easy. That was on my '67 Barracuda so rubber was hardened.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Cool,So all I need to do is find an old time glass guy who smokes cigarettes.
Seriously though thanks for the tip.Thats what I was leaning towards as far as cutting the gasket out.I have called several glass companies and none of them gave me a very good feeling about removing it without breaking it.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Rick....be careful with glass restorers!!!
I had an NOS back glass for my 63 Impala. I ordered all new glass for my car from Auto City Classics. When I drove up to pick it up I took my NOS back glass to have the date code changed to the original date.
They told me not to do it. They would have to polish off the original date and they said if you stood by the quarter panels....you would see a small dip in the reflection. I appreciated their advise.
If you really want to do this.....take an old windshield to get restored and see if you like the results first before taking the real one to them.
Just my opinion.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the info Phil.If anything happens to windshield I'll be seriously bummed.Guess I need to investigate this more.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I got the glass out of my '59 El Camino by taking a razor blade and running it near/against the surface of the glass on the out side of the vehicle. I did the whole circumference of the windshields this way. Once I was all the way around, I took the outside parts of the gasket off. From the inside, I did something similar, but I didn't cut through the whole gasket, just cut enough to separate the glass from the gasket.
This allowed me to leave enough of the interior gasket in place to hold the windshield in place while I gently pulled and lifted them out.
Not sure how lucky I was as I did this by myself and didn't break or crack either windshield. I think if I were going to do this again, I would use some soapy water to lubricate the razor blade (particularly on the inside) and have someone on the inside to gently and evenly push the glass out.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I removed, the front and rear windshield, on another 64 Impala, I used to own. I also, used a razor knife, to cut the rubber seal, all the way around the glass. :clap When it finally looked, like it was ready to come out, I laid on the car seats, and used my feet, to push the glass out. I was worried, but they both came out, without breaking.:clap When I was finished, I put the front windshield, in the wooden bracket, I made out of 2 X 4's, hanging from my floor joists. When I put the rear windshield in, I hit the corner, and cracked it.:doh:drop:bang

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I had a rear window back glass for 63 2 dr ht that I had stored in a basement of a rental house and a guy was needing one so i said i would sell it to him. I went to get it stepped out to tbe front porch ,never hit any thing as soon as I stepped out it shattered in a million pieces . Coulnt believe it ,it just popped in my hands.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I had a rear window back glass for 63 2 dr ht that I had stored in a basement of a rental house and a guy was needing one so i said i would sell it to him. I went to get it stepped out to tbe front porch ,never hit any thing as soon as I stepped out it shattered in a million pieces . Coulnt believe it ,it just popped in my hands.

Had that happen when I worked at the dealer years ago in the middle of winter, car was outside it was -35° brought the car in put my nice toasty hands on side window to see what the problem was and BAM it just shattered and I was left holding a bunch of glass. Sure glad there was warranty on that.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I remember, a friend of mine, poured warm water, on his front windshield of his 1965 F*rd Galaxie. He was loosening the ice, while he was scraping it.:dunno Was working pretty good. When he turned on the defroster, we heard the crack..:wtfOf course, it was in his line of vision.:gaah

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mine went in my car one day from heat, cracked right in the center. Dad had one go on the rear, both happened with no one touching them.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just a few weeks back I was motoring around all the debris in the new Manshed where I have several pieces of glass stored.

I have a bad habit of loosing things from my pockets throughout the day, lots of mowing and weed whipping, ladder climbing, that sort of thing. So my lovely wifes' solution is to hand me a "fanny pack". I hate those things when worn in front of your belly, so I slipped it over to one side. I think you know where this is going....

So I reach across some boxes to get to the fuse box to reset some circuits and POP!!! goes the back glass to my 1961 Belair Sport Coupe :( :( :(.

The fanny pack bumped the corner of the back glass which was laying up against a soft backing. It sounded like a gun went off. I'm still finding little shards of glass throughout the shop.... I think I have it all, it's just in a lot of little pieces that all look the same and the picture of the puzzle isn't all that helpful... It's going to be real hard to glue all them back together :).

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just a few weeks back I was motoring around all the debris in the new Manshed where I have several pieces of glass stored.

I have a bad habit of loosing things from my pockets throughout the day, lots of mowing and weed whipping, ladder climbing, that sort of thing. So my lovely wifes' solution is to hand me a "fanny pack". I hate those things when worn in front of your belly, so I slipped it over to one side. I think you know where this is going....

So I reach across some boxes to get to the fuse box to reset some circuits and POP!!! goes the back glass to my 1961 Belair Sport Coupe :( :( :(.

The fanny pack bumped the corner of the back glass which was laying up against a soft backing. It sounded like a gun went off. I'm still finding little shards of glass throughout the shop.... I think I have it all, it's just in a lot of little pieces that all look the same and the picture of the puzzle isn't all that helpful... It's going to be real hard to glue all them back together :).
Don't you just hate it when that happens........:dunno2:dunno2:)