Windshield wiper issue

SpeedyV10

Hi everybody,

So I was taking the Impala to storage last year, and it happened to be raining out a little. I hit the wiper switch, and the wipers cycled. When they parked, they swooped down across the vented cowl and onto the hood. Yep....big scratches.

I unplugged the motor, and removed the wiper arms. It appears that the 'park' mode in not functioning properly allowing the wiper arms to swing too low and then they wont cycle up high enough to park in the proper place. Should I just buy a replacement motor/gearbox assembly? Are there any adjustments on the gearbox. Anybody else have simliar issues with the wipers?

Thanks!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think the service manual addresses this. I'm going on memory here, and my reference is the 55-57 and the 58 wiper motors, but as I recall the park and limit switches are basiscly like a set of points. Cleaning them may solve your problem. I will have to look in the service manual t confirm. What year is it?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's a 61, Oldskydog. Any help would be most appreciated!!!

Thank you!!!!
Matt

Matt,
You need to know if it's the single speed (flat rectangular motor) or 2 speed (round motor). It looks like the single speed is much simpler contact points for park whereas the 2 speed is a more complicated gear-cam type. I couldn't find the 61 service manual online but I did find the 59-60 and the wiper motors are the same. Here is a link to the wiper motor service and troubleshooting sections:

http://chevy.tocmp.com/shop/1959_60/59sms1410.htm

I hope this helps. You probably just need some cleaning of the contacts.

SpeedyV10

It is the round 2 speed motor.

I will study the diagram and attempt to take this thing apart. Thank you for your help!!!!!

Happy Holidays!

Matt