Windshield wiper woes 1962 2-speed

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Sent my wiper motor off for repair about 3 weeks ago after concluding the fix was beyond a simple clean and relube. The motor came back looking brand new except for the ground strap that got kinked all to hell and a broken washer discharge nozzle, both due to careless packaging. I lodged my complaint and the rebuilder apologized profusely and advised they would sed out a replacement nozzle cap. Next day installed the motor and turned the switch and...nothing. the motor would run on high speed but the park function was inconsistent. Sent it back only to be told everything checked out just fine. I asked for and received a video of them bench testing it. Got it back, installed it and it ran for 2 seconds on low, about 5 seconds on high, then nothing. It is deader than Kelsey's nuts.
My grounds and power have been quadruple checked.
So my plan is to send it to a different rebuilder (who used to work for the first outfit and was not very complimentary) for a check out.
Meanwhile if anyone has ideas please let me know before I have the most expensive wiper in the history of 62 Chevys.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Need to make sure the wiper switch is grounded where it mounts to the dash.
It is. If it were not, the wiper wouldn't operate at all. I have even provided direct ground to battery for the motor and jumpered the terminal board terminals to ground per the shop manual.

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
Yes, still dead.

If your doing the bench check right, its dead then. The question now is why did it die? Was it wired up incorrectly, receive shipping damage, or poor workmanship? Depending on the answer too the root cause would determine your course going forward. If it was workmanship I'm not sure I would want the shop to try again, I'd be looking for a different shop.

Junky

Well Known Member
Who did the initial rebuild, and who are you contemplating sending it to? I have one that needs to be rebuilt, and would like to avoid the hassles that you are experiencing.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Who did the initial rebuild, and who are you contemplating sending it to? I have one that needs to be rebuilt, and would like to avoid the hassles that you are experiencing.
I'm sending it to a different shop today. I will delay flaming the first shop and praising the second until I get it back. Both shops are in SC if that helps.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My wiper motor too was sent out for a complete rebuild and I was not happy with the job. Works, but not like it should. Maybe I will try the link you provided 55brodie.

Junky

Well Known Member
Before you condemn the rebuild, check all your linkages and bushings for wear and misalignment. Personally, I hate working on wipers, since I know how difficult they can be to properly diagnosis and repair. Also finding linkage replacement parts is next to impossible. I had a friend that would machine new bushings for me, however, he retired and moved to a warmer climate.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Have you tried to bench check it?
Yes, still dead.

I'm interested in how to bench test a wiper motor. My car came with a 2 speed w/washer and the switch only has 1 lead, so I "assume" it is for a 1 speed motor. All I really need is how to get low speed to work with this switch, for now, don't care about 2 speeds or washer.
Thanks for any help, I am planning to drive it to a parade tonight and haven't been able to get anything out of the motor...maybe its' dead too. Oh, the ground strap doesn't go to anything and doesn't seem to help with a jumper wire to ground either.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Start by using the right parts! A two speed wiper motor need the correct 2 speed switch and it's wiring to be able too work.Get a shop manual,and set it up accordingly.You may have to replace that wiper motor.That ground strap is supposed to be grounded or GM wouldn't have put it there in the first place.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the sensitive reply. Apparently you didn't read my situation very well, I don't have time to run out and buy parts and manuals, I need wipers in about 3 hours. ALL I asked is, is there a way to get the wipers to run on either speed with the single speed switch. Which terminal should I run power too and which terminal for the ground wire to the switch.