Windshield wiper woes 1962 2-speed

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yup, thanks, the switch does ground, I checked that with a meter. I found a vid on youtube that showed the center terminal got the power and the 2 outer terminals were for high and low speed. Running power and ground to those terminals did nothing. I guess I need to assume the motor is locked or burned out. It hasn't turned in over 15 years, and the car came to me as a basket case, so it could be either. Yes, I did tap on it with a plastic mallet to "wake it up", but no luck...:dunno

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know it doesn’t help you for the show your going to today but sometimes the wiper motor and everything is just fine it’s the grease inside gets hard and makes all the switches stick. That was the case with mine I pulled it all apart and cleaned all the old grease out relubed it with white lithium grease and it has worked great since.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Does it have the brass ground strap under one of the mounting bolts?
I know it doesn’t help you for the show your going to today but sometimes the wiper motor and everything is just fine it’s the grease inside gets hard and makes all the switches stick. That was the case with mine I pulled it all apart and cleaned all the old grease out relubed it with white lithium grease and it has worked great since.

The strap is not installed correctly. I clamped a ground wire on it and ran it to ground.

The vid I watched was about that exact problem with the grease drying out. That motor looks like a pain to remove, so I'll get to it later, someday, maybe. You know how that goes. I have a '66 Chevelle SS that just came back from paint and needs complete assembly and a 1967 Camaro in pieces in the shop...:juggle

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I believe the wiper motor housing has to be grounded also. Well maybe not if it is mounted in rubber. Just thinking out loud.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Could be, all my other Chevs have a ground strap from the mounting plate to one of the mounting bolts, but I can't see these, as they seem to come up from under the cowl ? I may give grounding that a try along with the big strap before I pull it. The RainX did the trick for the 5 mile shower I had to drive thru tonight.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Very nice pic, thanks ! I did use those wire locations, but, as said, I don't know if the motor body is grounded. I had a ground wire clamped to the strap, but not the body too. Weather is too unstable to pull the Chevelle/trailer out of the shop to investigate further right now. Interesting that they describe that pic as a '66. Must be a Corvette. My '66 Chevelle motor is completely differnet and has an issue too. When I plugged it in yesterday, it started running as soon as I turned the ignition switch on. Been nearly 4 years since I used it and I don't think it ever "parked" correctly, but I was able to turn it off with the wiper switch ? I'm close to installing the wiper motor on the Camaro too...hope that one doesn't go haywire also...:rolleyes