Wiper motor problems!!!!!!

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'll sum this up in one word-HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPP. I had my 58 out the last week and started to drizzle some. I turned the wipers on and they worked inconsistantly, on,off,on, off all the way home. I knew that I'd have some free time over the weekend to look at them. Yesterday I went out and turned them on and nothing, nothing at all. I started looking for maybe a loose wire or something simple. WRONG!!!
I ended up tracing the hot wire back to the fuse box, it had power to the motor. I then checked the switch and it was tight and felt right, but both wires from the switch to the motor were hot also! It was always my understanding that the motor was hot all the time and the switch was the inconsistant ground to make it operate on comand. Am I wrong about this? There is no direct power to the switch, so where is it coming from? Could the wiper motor possibly be shorting out and feeding back to the switch. All I know for sure is I spent about 4 hours yesterday and 2 today, looked at every wiring diagram that I could find and I know less now than when I started. I'm sure someone can give me some direction to start. I looked at what it would take to get that wiper motor pulled out and I estimate it to be a case, maybe a case and a half project. I'd sure appreiacte any and all help on this. THANKS in advance. Mike

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If it's anything like the later wiper motors,on one of the mounting screws,where the wiper motor is bolted to the car,there is a ground strap.If that screw gets loose or corroded,you lose your ground,and wiper motor operation.The wires going to the switch getting hot to the touch would seem to indicate a shorted out wiper motor.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok then,it sounds like checking ground is the first thing to do.Try turning the wiper switch on and touching your wiper motor with your test light.If it lights,you have a ground issue,if not go get your case,,and pull the wiper motor,as the problem is internal of the motor somewhere.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes, click on cecil's link's it goes to all test's!!!!! Just click on page number for each test.:idea

Last edited:

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cecil. Thanks for the info, you must have quite a library there at the house. I'll get some time maybe Wendsday and I'll try to get up under the dash and do some testing then. I just hope it's something real simple because me and electric motors and circuits don't get along real well. The biggest problem I see is me getting all unraveled from under the dash and getting all streightened up again!!!! I'm getting too old for this crap. Thanks again. Mike