Wiring problem on a 63

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
1963 Chevrolet: While putting the 2X4 barrels on the engine, we acidentally shorted the horn wire, (we think) and it caused the center terminal of the horn relay to get very very hot. Smoke, - you know. Anyway, after that, the volt meter started to read 16 volts, as I reported in an earlier post. Well, we replaced the voltage regulator, but the volt meter and my high end Fluke digital VOM says there is an average of 15.5 to 16.2 volts running around out there at about 2000 rpm. After the car had sat for three days, I went out to start it up today and the battery was dead.
I put the charger on it, and the horn relay is getting warm to the touch. So I took the battery out to charge it, and ordered an new horn relay. Any idea what I have wrong?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Sounds like a quick recheck of the horn circuit on the load side of the relay is on orderhere
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob....Please don't take imediate action on my suggestion until Fatride and Bob Walker chime in...Look at their test scores:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Robert

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
For any one following this, turns out the horn relay, (original rusted factory part) was shorted, so the lead to the horn was hot with juice straight from the battery.
Please note, the car is completed only out to the radiator support, no horn, lights, etc at this time.
I installed a new relay, cleaned up the wiring, and charged the battery. All is fine, but the voltage meter still shows about 15.5 volts when crusin' down the road.

mac1

Well Known Member
My car puts out 15 volts at higher rpms. I wouldn't worry about that. I need every bit of that to put my electric windows up and down.