Wisdom of Mark Twain

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) had a way of saying things, much of which is probably as true today as it ever was.

Just to lighten your day, here are some quotes.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it.

I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position.

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it.

I never let my schooling interfere with my education.

If you pick up a atarving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.

In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.

In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.

It is better to keep you mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

It is easier to stay out than to get out.

Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed.

Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

It takes your enemy and your friend, working together, to hurt you: the one to slander you, and the other to get the news to you.

I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
(Mark Twain)