World Benchrest Shooting Match Sydney

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
http://www.benchrestbulletin.net/drupal/
Click on this site and go to "latest results" on the left side of the page. Each day is a different leg of the 4 day match. Also team totals are at the bottom of the page. The LV100 was today and USA had 6 guys in the top 10. They have started tomorrows match, the Hv100, and Tony Boyer is leading after 3 groups. They shoot 5---5 shot groups for scoring and 1 warm up match to start every day.

Not a very good turnout from around the world. Here's a quote from one of the team members, "Amazing so many countries did not make it to Australia. I heard the entry problems to bring guns in/out were incredible. Sweden, France, Austria, Spain .... etc., no show.
Too bad only 76 shooters are attending; you really had to want to participate to go through the paperwork. Some of the international guys said there was no guarantee they could get their guns out.
Well, good luck to all that fought the anti-gun blockade.
Larry"

When I shot in France 2 years ago there were 26 countries represented and 186 shooters. These are all SINGLE SHOT 6MM RIFLES.

Watch Tony Boyer. He is the best shooter on earth in this game. I would wager the 3 four man USA teams will all finish in the top 6 and 2 teams will be in the top 4. USA will have at least 9 of their 12 men finish in the top twenty in the 2 gun.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I guess this is a good example of gun control !! If we let our guard down the same crap will happen here !!
Very interesting indeed. Thanks for posting this Dave.
Ken

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Exactly right Ken.

Tony Boyer won the Hv 100 by a large margin. He shot a very good .1574 agg and beat the second place guy by .0148. Most of you know what fourteen thousands looks like, but I have lost a few big matches by a tenth of a thousand.---.0001---so fourteen thousands is big. :bow USA in the top ten finished 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8th. In the 4 man teams they are now 1st, 3rd, and 4th.

Targets are measured by subtracting the size of the bullet hole after measuring the 5 shots in the target outside to outside. Then when all five targets are shot, you add them up and divide by 5 at 100 yards for the aggregate.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It's tomorrow in Sydney. I am changing my prediction from USA finishing all 3 teams in the top six and 2 teams in the top 4 to a clean 1,2,3 sweep. They have finished the first record target and Boyer is in 2nd place. There are several other USA shooters in the top 20. Must be some tough conditions, there are several groups over an inch. Most all the USA guys are better shooters at 200 yards vs 100 yds. My prediction is for Boyer to win the coveted 2 gun World Title again also. Not sure how many times he has won this. He is using the same barrel he used in France 2 years ago. He has made the World Team all but once of the 13 contests. The only reason he didn't make the team that one time was due to a death in the family where he had to leave a qualifying match.

I see my friend from Ontario, Canada, Andy Laidlaw is currently in 17th place.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just in. They say the winds are blowing 100km or 62mph. There is a severe fire risk and there is a plan for evacuation in place. There will be some large groups and aggs in that. Wind flags will be blown all over the place. Dirt blown into everyones gear ect.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The Lv Grand is the combination of the Lv 100 and Lv 200. USA finished 1, 2, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, and 17th out of the top twenty. In the team standings USA is 1, 3, and 7th. One more leg left, the Hv 200 yd.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well it's over. I missed some of my predictions. In the Hv 200 USA had 4 people in the top 10. Then in the Grand(combination of Hv 100 & Hv 200) USA had 6 in the top 10.

In the individual 2 gun which is the pinnacle of the week, it was Charles Huckaba from Midland, Texas, in first place with an agg of .2804. Fellow Texan from down by Houston, Gene Bukys second with an agg of .2862, and 3rd place from Michigan, Bob Scarbroughn Jr. My pick, Tony Boyer placed 7th. There were 7 from the USA in the top twenty. The coveted 2 gun is made up from all 4 yardages added together and divided by 4. So after shooting all week, Charles beat Gene by .0059-----not quite 6 thousands. I have lost a few matches by the 4th number---tenths of a thousands. I believe a human hair is .007

In the team event USA came in first as I predicted. After that the wheels fell off. The other 2 teams finished 7th and 12th. Looked to me like one guy on each of those teams crossfired on another competitors target by mistake, causing a large penalty. These 2 guys finished last in the Hv 200 due to that.

This is the 7th world competition and the USA has won the 2 gun 6 times. Not sure how many times they have won the team event. Hope my ramblings didn't bore you too much. You probably know more that you wanted to about this sport if you read all this stuff.