Worth keeping?

Impala Lover

Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone, I have a question for you. I was able to pick up a 327 cid engine for free the other day. It came out of a 1966 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with, they told me, about ten thousand miles on it. The reason for the low mileage is it had an engine compartment fire in 1968. It has sat in a field since then. It got hot enough that the carb, thermostat housing and fuel pump melted. I don't have much time invested, so I am not out much, but I did take it apart and the cylinders are relatively clean. It will have to be bored out of course, but is it worth keeping or should I just throw it away? All that I have is the block, the crank is bad, the valve covers and oil pan were rusted through, the camshaft was shot and the dist. was also melted. Any thoughts?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Not really?

Early 2 bolt main, 4 inch bore, small journal, won't bring $20 in the Chicago market. You can get a much better block for cheap and put the same effort into it.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Go on the HAMB website, or Impala.net. You may get lucky, if someone is restoring an early 60's Chevy.:dunno As plentiful as 350's are now, the 327 has been, pretty much forgotten.:doh Good luck, though.:)

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Iv'e always been partial to 327s my self. You say it came out of a truck, Is it a 2 bolt main? and you say that it needs to be bored yet it only has 10,000 miles and you say the cyl. are fairly clean. Just how bad are the cyl. that it needs a boring:dunno. Ken

Impala Lover

Supporting Member 1
It is a 2-bolt main block out of a 1/2 ton pickup. The reason it would need to be bored out is it sat in a field for 40 YEARS!! The piston rings will rust over time because of the oil pan being rusted out. My question pertains to will the block be salvageable because of the high heat, or is that not a problem. The hood on the pickup was closed, but moisture still got into the engine. Any thoughts?

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You can probably save the block but you need to check the soft metal like the bearings . it don't take alot of heat to melt them into the pan. ( if it was still in one piece.) Good luck to you.
BTW, what heads are on it? they might be worth saving.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd prob. get the engine srtiped down and give it a honing and a cleaning then start taking some measurments to check for warpage (Block surfaces) Out of round, taper and measurments in the pits (Cyl. bores) to make an estimate as to how far the cyl. had to be bored. If all those measurment come out Ok then I'd take it to my machine shop and let them take a look at it and see what they think. Ken